estimating software

Status
Not open for further replies.

-marty

Re: estimating software

Years ago when computer first came out my father (partner)built all our estimating programs in basic. They were slow, but complete. Easy to maintain. When excel came out we converted the basic programs. To this day that is what I use. Dad is retired. I like this set up, there is all the information I need without a lot of extra stuff or large price tag. I get a price book from my main supplier and update the information yearly. Sometimes if I bidding a large project I touch base with my supplier.

I never used commerical software. I'm sure they do lots of the work for you. Because I'm set up it would take me longer to learn their program than to keep mine updated.

Of everything I do in the trade (I'm a one man shop) bidding is my least favorite. Keep it simple.

I hope more people answer your post. I'm always open to new ideas in this area.

ctroyp

I have only tried Vision Infosoft but, there are others out there for your consideration. Their software seems to work pretty well. They offer a free subscription to EPIC which allows you to download the latest material pricing. When the Vision Infosoft representative contacted me, I requested some names of local businesses that use the product in my area. I found that there were several. Your choice will depend on: #1 your budget and #2 business volume. Some of the sites listed below have downloadable "demos" to try. Hope this helps...

Vision Infosoft
Jaffe Software
Conest
McCormick Systems

krcgm

I use Vision's EBM plus.I think the program is easy to use and learn.Everyday I learn more of it's many features.The only draw back that I have found is you need at least a P3 computer,P4 is suggeseted.I need to check in on the free EPIC though.

kajungee

3 years ago we were looking for an estimating program and after have reps flying in and demo most of the big name software ( Con-est. McCormick) I happen to stumble upon Visions Bidmanager. They had just come out and was much less expensive than anything else out there.
I downloaded the demo and tried it out. I wouldn't have anything else.. the others seem to have to many bells and wistles that in my opinion leave room for mistake.

jmshiller

estimating software

estimating software

Just wondering if anyone has experience with 1st Choice estimating software, excel program and cost around $300.00.

DHkorn

I'm a small contractor from Chicago. I went with Accubid's Bidwinner about 1990 or so. I paid a lot of money for it but I've never regretted it. Top Notch, without a doubt. You'll see a definite learning curve with any software estimating buts it's worth it. I did finally stop paying yearly support charges two year's ago and probably wont upgrade past version six. About five years after I bought I added a license for my home computer, I just couldn't do database maintanence or create assemblies at the office.

Status
Not open for further replies.