The term "sidecar":

Status
Not open for further replies.

mdshunk

Is the term "sidecar" a geographic term, used only in a certain part of the country? I sometimes hear this term on the 'net, and as best as I can tell, it normally refers to a little 2-circuit box tapped off the subfeed lugs in a Main & Range plus four fuse panel. Ever heard this slang term before?

edit... fixed spelling

Last edited:

ITO

Its the extra milkshake from the mixer they shake out of the can, if you are lucky they will serve it in a little cup with a animal cracker along with the full size milk shake you just ordered.

I've heard it used referring to an empty cabinet that bolts on to a piece of switch gear essentially giving you room to route your wires. My old boss used this term. His background was as a union guy in SW CT so I don't know if it is more geographic or union slang or a combination between the two.

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
mdshunk said:
. . .the term "sidecar". . . . a little 2-circuit box tapped off the subfeed lugs in a Main & Range plus four fuse panel.
I haven't heard the term, either.

I knew them as the AC disco, or the electric water heater disco, etc.

The Master I apprenticed under, back in the Sixties, made a significant part of his "bread and butter" by plopping in the AC circuit, etc., to residential fuse centers by adding that 2-circuit box, and the term never came up there or elsewhere.

My "old" geographic learning areas include Nebraska, New Mexico, Iowa and Minnesota

BackInTheHabit

How about this?

daytona2.jpg

knaack134

mdshunk said:
Is the term "sidecar" a geographic term, used only in a certain part of the country? I sometimes hear this term on the 'net, and as best as I can tell, it normally refers to a little 2-circuit box tapped off the subfeed lugs in a Main & Range plus four fuse panel. Ever heard this slang term before?

edit... fixed spelling
I have heard that term used around here. It pretty much means exactly what you described. I just removed the fuse panel from my house, which had an 8 ckt sidecar tapped off the range lugs.
As a side note, we refer to boxes bolted on to existing pull boxes or troughs as blisters. Does anybody else use that term?

satcom

It was a term used to describe an add on extension for a steel switch box, wich was used to meet the space fill requirement, by using the older small steel switch box with a side car, was a hot item for about 2 years until everyone started using plastic boxes, then the side car, stock at the vendors just went to the junk pile,

ed downey

I have heard the term Sidecar used when describing Power Distribution Units (PDU) that have either a distribution section of (6) 225A breakers or a distribution section with (3) 208/120V 42 circuit panels attached to the PDU.

-Ed

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
For what it's worth I've never heard of anyone using the term sidecar outside of this forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.