Inspectors missing code violations.......

Status
Not open for further replies.

c2500

I had previously posted about my buddy who had his house wired for $4700. Anyway, the drywall is now going up. The electrical rough in passed. However, there were several things the inspector missed. 20 cu inch boxes that will be over filled when the device is installed. No nail plates....anywhere...even when they would be legally required due to the obvious angle cut that puts the wire 1/4" into the stud. (I hope the drywall guys send a screw thru) The box to the right of the sink is to far away. A piece of nm riding the back of the dryer duct (not sure if its a violation, but it is a poor wiring technique.) A water supply line literally resting on top of a can light.

The thing that gets me is the inspector is normally super picky. I normally pass when he inspects my work, but I know he checks everything closely. I am amazed at what he let slide. Of course I am wondering when he comes back for final will he fail due to the receptacle being to far from the sink.

To make things even more interesting, the HVAC passed. That is even though one return had no mastic on it. I have always held the city inspectors here in high regard, but I am really questioning things given what they let slide. Worse yet, I have heard from an HVAC guy I know that he has been hearing inspectors are getting payed off.

I am even more disappointed that my friend, who is a licensed builder (though he pulled the permit as owner/builder) did not seem concerned about the mistakes. I guess making a lick on his last house has has him thinking he can do a real cheap job and still get $200+ a square foot.

Anyway, thanks for letting me vent.

c2500

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Rewire said:
Those who can do ,those who can't teach,those who are brain damaged inspect.

Please explain this statement.

It seems you are having a bad day.

Roger

c2500

LawnGuyLandSparky said:
Inspectors don't check 100% of every job. He missed an overfilled box? You're faulting him for that? ONE duct missing mastic? C'mon man...

No, A Return, not a duct. As in a gaping 14" hole that had no mastic. You would be blind to have missed it. Multiple over filled boxes, not just one.

Having had this inspector count my wires in a box before, I kinda expect to have the same thing done to everyone. Or maybe I am being picky?

c2500

bphgravity

I teach and inspect, so I guess I know how Rewire feels about me...

In general, I feel many building departments do not properly train their employees and do not provide enough continuing education and specialized training.

It's all about shrinking budgets Departments are required to do alot more with much less. This means multi-certified inspectors that may not be completely competent and fluent in all the codes and standards for all the trades they are permitted to inspect. In some cases, inspectors are given 30-40 inspections a day which results in a very low level of service.

Keep in mind that every profession has its bums and its superstars. Just llok at professional sports and lawyers. Some are great, some not so great...

Perhaps your friend should hire a private inspection company to provide quality control inspections...

cowboyjwc

Staff member
bphgravity said:
I teach and inspect, so I guess I know how Rewire feels about me...

In general, I feel many building departments do not properly train their employees and do not provide enough continuing education and specialized training.

It's all about shrinking budgets Departments are required to do alot more with much less. This means multi-certified inspectors that may not be completely competent and fluent in all the codes and standards for all the trades they are permitted to inspect. In some cases, inspectors are given 30-40 inspections a day which results in a very low level of service.

Keep in mind that every profession has its bums and its superstars. Just llok at professional sports and lawyers. Some are great, some not so great...

Perhaps your friend should hire a private inspection company to provide quality control inspections...

I agree with Bryan. I just got back from the California Electrical Inspectors meeting, where I picked up 20 hours of CEUs, and there were 40 people in attendance, that includes contractors, NECA, NFPA, several testing labs, ICC, etc. 40! we used to have 100+ attend. I can tell you that most of the guys at the meeting were not the guys who needed the training.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
since you have had experience with this inspector, you know that is not his "norm". Inspectors, as electricians, can have bad days also, plus, I'm sure if someone followed me and checked closely, they could find items I miss each day.
If this H.O. is truly a "buddy", you should point out the defeciencies (rather than hoping for a screw failure).
In regard to the outlet spacing, my experience has been that if the inspector "misses" at rough-in, it must still be addressed.
In the end, the contractor is responsible for the job meeting the Code, the inspector is just another set of eyes.

c2500

Augie,

My "mentor" and I toured the house. My mentor wanted to see what $4700 would buy as he would have charged a whole lot more (as would I). My buddy did not seem concerned. Which is some of my disappointment. He used to be a good builder. He is the reason I have a builder's license. (Well he vouched for me and I passed the tests) Now he ranks with the ones that want to turn a buck. It is sad to see people accepting substandard work because it was "cheap" Sadly, it is also showing up in the workmanship from his cabinet shop. Gotta start looking around for another source due to ever increasing prices with decreasing quality.

But hey lets remember that infamous phrase...."It is wired to code!"

c2500

cowboyjwc

Staff member
c2500 said:
Augie,

My "mentor" and I toured the house. My mentor wanted to see what $4700 would buy as he would have charged a whole lot more (as would I). My buddy did not seem concerned. Which is some of my disappointment. He used to be a good builder. He is the reason I have a builder's license. (Well he vouched for me and I passed the tests) Now he ranks with the ones that want to turn a buck. It is sad to see people accepting substandard work because it was "cheap" Sadly, it is also showing up in the workmanship from his cabinet shop. Gotta start looking around for another source due to ever increasing prices with decreasing quality.

But hey lets remember that infamous phrase...."It is wired to code!"

c2500

When you're paying for the minimum, anything less than that is going to be bad.

That's why I like inspecting guys with high standards. Even when something happens and it doesn't meet their standards, it still better than some peoples best work.:)

kkwong

cowboyjwc said:
When you're paying for the minimum, anything less than that is going to be bad.

Too true...

That's why I like inspecting guys with high standards. Even when something happens and it doesn't meet their standards, it still better than some peoples best work.:)

I think that is true everywhere but there is also a fine line between high standards and being picky :)

mdshunk

I say this with some reservation, but I know that many guys will know exactly where I'm coming from. Part of being profitable in certain market areas is knowing what parts of the code will not be enforced, and which parts are only loosely enforced. Naturally, you don't have to work like that, but certain realities prevail in some areas. The flip side of that is knowing what things are enforced in some areas that aren't in the code at all, but you have to do them to keep peace. My boxes of "Maryland staples" for fixing NM cable in MD comes to mind.

satcom

It is not the inspectors job, to pick apart a job, when a job is called in for inspection, you are saying, I am a qualified person, and supervised, or did this job, and because of my knowladge and skills, the work should meet all the code standards, ready for inspecton, not call the inspector to teach you how to do your job, but rather have him look over the job, not tare it abart looking for problems, the inspector should be in and out, and not have to look at every piece of the job, that is your job and you are in the end, liabile for the outcome, not the inspector.

If you having too many violations, it may be time to hit the books.

Last edited:

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Rewire said:
Those who can do ,those who can't teach,those who are brain damaged inspect.

Although I've dealt with my share of lousy inspectors I consider your statement to be a low blow, especially given the knowledge that many inspectors on this forum possess. Care to print a retraction?

satcom

infinity said:
Although I've dealt with my share of lousy inspectors I consider your statement to be a low blow, especially given the knowledge that many inspectors on this forum possess. Care to print a retraction?

You have to remember we are in New Jersey, where the inspectors have worked in the trade, and have a record of experience, are tested, and certified, they also have CEU requirements to maintain, In my opinion we have some of the best qualified inspectors.

There are parts of the country, where the inspectors do not have to meet any base measure, of experience, or knowladge in the field, and some even trainned in other trades, but doing electrical inspections.

satcom

infinity said:
Thanks Bob, that was my point.

I can understand some of the feelings, where the guys have inspection problems, but his comment was uncalled for, there are areas of the country, where inspections are unprofessional.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.