concrete anchoring

Status
Not open for further replies.

scwirenut

just wondering the method you guys prefer, I have for years been using the improved hammer drives for gear and supporting, / and the plastic sleaves for securing. recently i tried the tapcons and so far I love them. I use them for everything just 2 different sizes

mdshunk

I guess TapCons have their usefulness, but I've had just enough problems with them that I almost hate to use one. Not to mention that I think the blue heads make exposed work look cheap.

mdshunk

I guess the main times I like to use a Tapcon is when for some reason the item must be anchored while it is in place. That is to say, the item can't be removed for the installation of a real anchor of some sort and put back on the wall. Tapcons can be drilled and installed through the hole in the back of the item. Admittedly, I end up using a Zamac half the time for that anyhow because I forget about Tapcons.

ItsHot

different applications

different applications

I use the blue plastic, 1/4" shields with a #10 panhead screws. Hilti white plastic anchors , with screw included. Use these like drive pins. Hold phillips screwdriver in them and "wham" with the hammer. No time for screwing around! Also use the metal drive pins. And use threaded metal sheilds(Hilti) with bolts. And the least used is Tapcons. I have the combo tip that drills and drives without having to change out in drill. The Tapcons seem to work fine, but just use them the least of the other fasteners mentioned above.

peter

Of course, concrete should be anchored.
As the Captain of the good yacht Sea Eagle, I know enough about seamanship that concrete does not make a very good anchor. Neither do most of the other references to cheap, imported tools, Microsoft computers, and other snide remarks.
Now if you are refering to anchoring things to concrete, there are many approaches.
Epoxy Glue-- Nobody has mentioned it and I haven't tried it, but it should be considered a possibility.
RedHeads & Inserts-- Most use the RedHead threaded studs. There are problems with driving these, typically bending and getting the threads smashed with the hammer. There are ways of avoiding this, mainly putting a rod coupling on the end. The inserts are just as strong and have the advantage that, when installed, they are flush or slightly below the surface. A good use is in floors so that they can remain for further use of the tugger. The studs will either cause a tripping hazard -- non OSHA -- or will have to be replaced over and over. Also transformers can be simply man-handled into place instead of having to be lifted carefully over the studs. However for walls, the studs are better since you can just lift the panel can onto them and they will hold it up until you get the nut on.
Tapcons-- These can be painted. A good combination is a BullDog rotary hammer and an impact driver. As Cat, the Cat Human, would say, "Meow".
I tend to use flathead, 3/16" for one hole straps and hex, 1/4" for the boxes.
[Zamac?]_______?-- One type to stay away from [I don't recall the name right now] looks like a rivet with a nail sticking out of it. You drill a 1/4" hole, insert it and pound the nail in and it expands and holds. The problem is that it is not reversible. One possible advantage is use in jails and high crime neighborhoods.
Plastic anchors-- Cheap and inexpensive. Supposedly they will melt and fail during a raging fire, but then, you have other problems.
~Peter

Last edited:

mdshunk

peter said:
Tapcons-- These can be painted.
Yeah. Knock yourself out.

peter said:
One type to stay away from [I don't recall the name right now] looks like a rivet with a nail sticking out of it. You drill a 1/4" hole, insert it and pound the nail in and it expands and holds. The problem is that it is not reversible. One possible advantage is use in jails and high crime neighborhoods.
Those are the one's I use instead of tapcons for certain things on walls. I know them as Zamac's.

I like Tapcons for a few things. Overhead strut on a concrete deck, mostly because it's quick and fast, is another time if the load it okay.

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician
I use Tapcon for just about everthing. If you need to move something, back them out. Hate nail-ins and plastic anchors are crap.

mdshunk

ItsHot said:
I would like to see a Tapcon used with a wiremold clip!:roll:
About the only thing I like to use with wiremold clips is a drywall screw. If I need an anchor for it, you need to drop down to the wee plastic anchors. I think they're for a #6-#8 screw. Most drywall screws are #6 and some are #7.

ItsHot

plastic Hiltis

plastic Hiltis

mdshunk said:
About the only thing I like to use with wiremold clips is a drywall screw. If I need an anchor for it, you need to drop down to the wee plastic anchors. I think they're for a #6-#8 screw. Most drywall screws are #6 and some are #7.
Marc this is when I like the white plastic Hilti anchors (1/4 ") they come with screw inserted and have a nearly flush phillips head.

mdshunk

ItsHot said:
Marc this is when I like the white plastic Hilti anchors (1/4 ") they come with screw inserted and have a nearly flush phillips head.
HILTI makes some cool stuff, but I have no place local to buy it.

tyha

what are the Zamacs you are refering to. we only use tapcans in block walls. in solid concrete the steel drop in is the way to go

mdshunk

tyha said:
what are the Zamacs you are refering to. we only use tapcans in block walls. in solid concrete the steel drop in is the way to go
These... They're for light duty, like one hole straps and 4-squares:

02843.jpg

You may know them as "nail in anchors".

HighWirey

mdshunk said:
I guess TapCons have their usefulness, but I've had just enough problems with them that I almost hate to use one. Not to mention that I think the blue heads make exposed work look cheap.

I first experienced TapCons in 1978. Did not like them then and still do not. My spec used to read "all electrical equipment shall be fastened using a 1/4 inch machine screw fasteners". Since then, TapCons have inveigled their way into our electrical world, however the origional spec has never been modified, just 'grandfathered-in'. Used thousands of 'em since 1978, still do not care for them.

As for the Zamacs, their 'holding power' is priceless, so long as you do not have to remove one. Used thousands of them also. What is a person to do?

Best Wishes Everyone

Sparky555

For light duty I use plastic anchors. For odd situations I'll use Tapcons, but rarely because the hole has to be precise & the concrete has to cooperate. For larger heavy duty I use RedHeads. On rare occasions I use a stud gun with pins & loads.

Dave

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Epoxey is the best. I fasten a lot into hollow block and the hilti epoxey for hollow block is the only method I have found that works and is reliable.

Most of what I install has to be removed for adds, moves or changes.

Also I have learned to use stainless.

But the Zaymacs are great for a good GP anchor.

Status
Not open for further replies.