Magnetic fish tape

Status
Not open for further replies.

iwire

Staff member
I may be wrong but it seems to me if the wall was clear enough to have this work that you could snake it pretty easily with a steel tape.

Imagine wood lathe, metal lath, insulation, etc. in the wall and I think that tool gets stuck.

ultramegabob

I have used jack chain for dropping down in walls, gravity pulls it down, and you can make a hook out of a coat hanger to pull it over to your box opening.

cadpoint

Protection of painted and various finishs was the first thing that came to mind. I guess it could be used through plastic, wax paper, or with a cloth wrapper.

Rawls007

iwire said:
I may be wrong but it seems to me if the wall was clear enough to have this work that you could snake it pretty easily with a steel tape.

Imagine wood lathe, metal lath, insulation, etc. in the wall and I think that tool gets stuck.

It claims to work in walls with insulation.

cadpoint

Well I do usually have a fish tape I need a fiberglass one though.

I' ve been known to use a lead sinker.

I thought the whole idea of go fishing is to have a sting on the line...

brian john

I used a fish tape or washer on a string, took my 25' tape folded it at the 36" mark and filled the void with it, dropped the string/fish tape then pull out the tape out.

ultramegabob

brian john said:
I used a fish tape or washer on a string, took my 25' tape folded it at the 36" mark and filled the void with it, dropped the string/fish tape then pull out the tape out.

thats a pretty cleaver use of a measuring tape, I will have to remember that:wink:

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
$90 for the magnet seems pretty stiff.

I have played with these magnets and I can tell you that the small ones are so strong that you can barely pull them apart if you don't twist them.

They are from Klutz. $5.95

3203-1m-low.jpg

EBFD6

other than hitting fire blocking or some other type of obstruction (which this tool would not be of any help with) I can honestly say that I never have that much trouble snaking a wall to justify spending money on something like this. As others have stated there are so many tricks of the trade to accomplish this routine task that my money would be better spent on more useful tool purchases.

JMO:smile:

ultramegabob

bjp_ne_elec said:
Brian - I'm a little slow - but I don't see how you're using the 36" of your 25' tape. Can you clarify for me?

Thanks
how I picture it working is you fold it in half, then stick the loop in the hole in the wall and push forward, when it presses against the other side of the wall it will spread out into a loop conforming to the insides of the drywall and studs, then when a string or fishtape is dropped down you just pull the measureing tape out and it snatches it in the loop. (some of us guys cant get our hands in cut-in box holes)

Last edited:

Jljohnson

I bought one when they first came out because I am a tool-monger that can't help myself sometimes. It works pretty well but I haven't used it yet where other typical fishing methods wouldn't have worked just as well.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
stickboy1375 said:
:grin: , i'm so skinny I can insert my hand up to my elbow in a 1 gang box. Snaking is NOT a problem for me... :grin:
You must have the shortest forearms in the world. :-?

Unless, of course, you meant a 1-gang box hole. :grin:

brian john

how I picture it working is you fold it in half, then stick the loop in the hole in the wall and push forward, when it presses against the other side of the wall it will spread out into a loop conforming to the insides of the drywall and studs, then when a string or fishtape is dropped down you just pull the measureing tape out and it snatches it in the loop. (some of us guys cant get our hands in cut-in box holes)

exactly !

220/221

In the demo pics, most people could just stick their hand in the hole and grab the fish.

My LEFT hand fits in a 1G opening.....but not my right. It's always a good idea to have a helper with girly hands :wink:

I get by with various lengths of standard 1/8" fish tape for framed walls and jack chain for block.

Status
Not open for further replies.