History of "GEM box"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mdshunk

I was ripping out a bunch of old gem boxes today, originally installed in the late 20's. I just happened to notice inside that they were actual "gem" brand boxes. I always wondered where that term came from. They were stamped, in three separate lines, as follows:

G.E.M. Co.
GEM - D
Pat'd.

I guess this is G-something Electrical Manufacturing Company. Anyone happen to know what the name of the company was/is? These happened to be black enameled steel boxes.

quogueelectric

I looked for a while but to no avail it is interesting though as some of the old houses I have renovated had horsedrawn delivery wagons for thier wallboard products located on 5th avenue in manhattan now I dont know if anyone can apreciate the absurdity of that happening today.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
bjp_ne_elec said:
Interested in seeing what these puppies look like. Anyone got a pic that they can post?

Thanks

They are just your standard metal switch boxes. Many areas call them gem boxes.
239517_front500.jpg

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
bjp_ne_elec said:
Dennis - thanks. In NE, I've never heard them referred to as that. Just call them "metal old work" boxes".

Thanks

When I line in NYC that's what I grew up calling them. I came down here to NC and the sales people just stared at me when I asked for a gem box. ;)

roger3829

I grew up in Connecticut, still there, I never heard the term "gem box", they were just "old work boxes". Didn't need to say "metal" as that's all we used.

I was taught the trade by my grandfather who started in the field in 1945.

He finally put the tools down a couple of years ago because he couldn't see.

480sparky

Another GEM box question

Another GEM box question

If you look at the clamps in those boxes, they are stamped with a 'T' and an 'N'.

What does the T and N stand for?

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
Larry
You the man again.
The ones with the beveld back are the original.
Anyone know what the T and N stand for..

DJFNEC2005

I'll take a shot at an answer...I think it is the manufactures code for the type and use of the clamp. I recall a counter salesman at our local supply house telling me this.

See the link below for raco boxes, A little more than half way down the page look for a section titled "CLAMP TECHNICAL DATA AND STUD TYPE". I can't find a T N designation exactly on the page but maybe a diffrent manufacture or box type. I'm not 100% sure of this but seems reasonable enough to my simple mind.

Http://www.hubbellcatalog.com/raco/RACO_boxes.asp?FAM=RacoBoxes

nakulak

e57 said:
I kind of wish they'd go back to that - and not just for retro appeal...

be careful what you wish for.

I love horses and farms, but streets covered with horse dung aren't all that appealing.

quogueelectric

480sparky said:
If you look at the clamps in those boxes, they are stamped with a 'T' and an 'N'.

What does the T and N stand for?
Alright cow is going out on a limb and going to suggest n stands for nonmetalic. Go ahead the clubbing will begin now.

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
quogueelectric said:
Alright cow is going out on a limb and going to suggest n stands for nonmetalic.
You're on the right track.

The info is in the White Book under QCIT - Metallic Outlet Boxes
Boxes may or may not be provided with clamps. When clamps are provided, the carton is marked to indicate the type of wiring system or combination of systems for which they have been tested. The clamps are marked with the following letters or combinations thereof to indicate that they are suitable for use with armored cable (??A??): flexible metal conduit ? ??F,?? nonmetallic-sheathed cable ? ??N,?? or flexible tubing (loom) ? ??T.?? Clamps suitable for Type MC metal-clad cable are marked ??MCI?? for metal-clad interlocking armored cable, ??MCI-A?? for metal-clad interlocking armor ground cable, ??MCS?? for metal-clad continuous smooth-sheath cable, and ??MCC?? for metal-clad continuous corrugated-sheath cable. If suitable for all seven types, the clamp is marked ??ALL.?? Clamps suitable for nonmetallic-sheathed cable are also suitable for multiconductor underground feeder and branch circuit cable where used in dry locations.

LawnGuyLandSparky

I think Gem also manufactures a bunch of consumer grade electrical devices, like triple plug adaptors, edison base socket adaptors, and extention cords.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
I don't think they forgot the clamps. The threw them away because they needed room in darn thing. You ever try to replace a switch in one of these. The EC in those days sure had the craft of stuffing wires in a box.:D

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.