Trees for OH Service Support

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sparky555

I got a call from a guy with power line problems. A non-utility owned overhead wire is supported across a public roadway by a couple of oak trees. It's hanging very low across this street after a storm. I've never heard of trees being used for support. He wants me to hang them back on the trees???

Dave

JohnJ0906

Sparky555 said:
I got a call from a guy with power line problems. A non-utility owned overhead wire is supported across a public roadway by a couple of oak trees. It's hanging very low across this street after a storm. I've never heard of trees being used for support. He wants me to hang them back on the trees???

Dave

225.26 - not allowed.

mdshunk

Are the trees dead or alive? Oddly, you can support an aerial drop wire from a dead tree, but not a living one. Something about trees that are alive grow and stretch up the wire.

JohnJ0906

mdshunk said:
Are the trees dead or alive? Oddly, you can support an aerial drop wire from a dead tree, but not a living one. Something about trees that are alive grow and stretch up the wire.

A dead tree may very well not count as "vegetation".
One of the definitions of vegetation was "plant life"

480sparky

mdshunk said:

Trees branches don't get higher is it grows. The tree simply adds to it's heighth as it grows. A branch that starts out at 20' will be at 20' fifty years from now.

I 'spect the problem is the trees can start to grow over the wire.

charlie

mdshunk said:
A dead tree can also be called a "telephone pole". :grin:
Marc, I have always thought of them as power poles. Also, unless they are cedar, they are also treated.
icon14.gif
:D

ultramegabob

Sparky555 said:

Dave

A non-utitlity owned overhead that is crossing a public roadway? that sounds fishy, does the customer own property on both sides of the road? what type of wire is it, power or communications? I have never had to run anything across a public road, Is it a city, county, or state maintained roadway? I think if I were going to touch this, I would look into boring under the road....

480sparky

macmikeman said:
Before anybody bothers to search, I already tried to get a picture off of google of President Bush holding an extension cord but couldn't find one. :roll:

How 'bout a telephone? :D

e966180b.jpg

mdshunk

ultramegabob said:
A non-utitlity owned overhead that is crossing a public roadway? that sounds fishy, does the customer own property on both sides of the road? what type of wire is it, power or communications? I have never had to run anything across a public road, Is it a city, county, or state maintained roadway? I think if I were going to touch this, I would look into boring under the road....
It happens a lot, but you just don't notice. A large manufacturing concern might be in several bulidings on each side of the street, and they'll run their own stuff from building to building. I worked for a company once upon a time that had several buildings all over town, and they had joint use agreements on many poles to run our own PA and phone system conductors on.

ultramegabob

mdshunk said:
It happens a lot, but you just don't notice. A large manufacturing concern might be in several bulidings on each side of the street, and they'll run their own stuff from building to building. I worked for a company once upon a time that had several buildings all over town, and they had joint use agreements on many poles to run our own PA and phone system conductors on.

I have never ran anything over a public roadway, but I did run some conduit for for a lo-vo contractor to pull their cables through a tunnel connecting a highschool that had a second building across the street.

charlie

The engineering division that I supervised would set up a contract for foreign contacts (Foreign is anyone other that us and a communications utility). Included in the license fee was the "make ready" costs which many times required pole replacements for either height or strength. The costs could be several thousands of dollars per pole that needed to be replaced.

Whenever a licensee had to enter the public rights-of-way, a letter from the local governmental authority had to be obtained to give them permission to do so. This letter is normally not produced and the attachment costs are prohibitive so we seldom have foreign attachments but they are done. :)

mivey

480sparky said:
Um, that pix is not Photoshopped......:wink:

I don't have Photoshop anyway.
Um, yes it is (Photoshopped being a generic term for a manipulated photo).You can see where the cord used to go across his wrist and the top of his tie.

I do photo restoration work and know you could make this change almost impossible to notice. One problem is that it would be time consuming. Another is that the joke would become a deceit. The good part about this joke is that they actually left the evidence like any good prankster would.

mivey

mivey said:
Um, yes it is (Photoshopped being a generic term for a manipulated photo).You can see where the cord used to go across his wrist and the top of his tie.
I thought the smudge on his wrist was where the phone cord came across, but you can actually see part of the cord on the right edge (his left) of his tie where it went across.

Status
Not open for further replies.