What's your typical work week like?

Status
Not open for further replies.

frizbeedog

This week.

Monday, Tuesday: Downtown. Wiring commercial addition, with feeder and sub-panel. EMT, MC, Lighting, T-bar, receps. etc.

Wednessday: 50 miles out. Manufactured home service and feeder. 80 ft. of power company trench (which I dug with the small bobcat we own) and 3" conduit.

Thursday, Friday: 1.5 Million dollar house in nice suburbs. Fancy kitchen remodel.

Just curious how varried and crazy your work week can get.

480sparky

Not varied, but still crazy.

A kitchen remodel & addition. HO just can't make a decision. Mo' money for me, I guess. :D

DSC_0175a.jpg

masterinbama

Next week

Monday: change service rough small addition

Tuesday,Wednesday,Thursday:rough large addition and tear out existing kitchen

Friday:collect checks, make payroll and free pool and food at the guys favorite hangout

Saturday: re pull and terminate some 5kv motor feeds at a local quarry

Sunday: church, golf, BBQ

ultramegabob

monday- various commercial service calls

tuesday- run circuit for new rooftop unit in tennant space remodel

wednesday- travel 40 miles one way to run isolated ground recepts for point of sales system in a fast food resturaunt

thursday- commercial service call taking care of various issues sited by firemarshall, then troubleshoot tripping breaker in resturaunt

friday- trench conduit for water pumps for waterfalls in a large decorative pond

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
Mine usually vary quite a bit. I'll run down how last week and this week went.

Last Week:

Monday:
House #1; install a microwave hood over a stove, replace 2 bath exhaust fans, run ductwork for fans. Get paid.
House #2; add 2 3-way switches. Get paid.

Tuesday:
Addition trim-out. Get paid thursday.

Wednesday: Install appliances, due pre-final check out in new construction. Already been paid.

Thursday: 200A service change. Argue with inspector over the installation, then remember I have the original documents that the inspector had previously approved this installation. Get "Approved" sticker applied to service. Next, I listen to the customers excuses as to why they don't have the money to pay me, and ask why they called me to do the work w/o having the money.

Friday:
Installed 16' poles around perimeter of yard w/ security lighting. Customer is a publisher, and apparently can piss people off sometimes enough that they'd sneak into their yard at night. Waiting to get paid from publisher's company. Seems as though my allergies are bothering me.

Saturday: Leave for the coast. Boy these allergies are bad.

Sunday: Its not allergies, its bacteria. And its in my eyes, ears, sinus, jaw, everywhere.

Monday: Leave coast, seek doctor. Get shot in rear end (penecillin, not bullet).

Tuesday-Friday: Can't see, can't drive. Can hardly walk. Note to self- don't take health for granted.

Next week - Play catch-up.

frizbeedog

brantmacga said:
....Argue with inspector......listen to the customers excuses as to why they don't have the money to pay me......boy these allergies are bad.

Next week - Play catch-up.

Take a deep breath.....:grin:

wirebender

Monday- Memorial Day - played in the pool with the grandkids and cooke t-bones

Tuesday- drove 60 miles one way to finish up a 2 million dollar lake house (install 4 speakers and label panel)
trim-out on a room addition to a double wide (hey, it's Texas) got rained out before we got the outside done

Wednesday- went back to double-wide, installed outside speakers and lights
Got an emergency call from a Chevron station- replaced 200 amp main in QO panel

Thursday- went back to double wide, ran 30amp circuit to A/C
next job installed x10 3-way for outside lights on barn
next job HO said living room lights quit working shortly after he had some data com cables run thru attic. He thought it was the 3-way switches so he replaced them- worked on and off. Found where data com guys had tripped on switch leg pulling it out of recessed can on vaulted ceiling(no connector, no staples), re-wired it. Lights still didn't work. re-wired the 3-way switches.:roll:

Friday- Met inspector at a dental clinic we wired last week. He said everything was good except we shouldn't have wired it until the roof was shingled. Said he would have made us replace any MC if it had gotten wet.

Rockyd

Occupation
Retired after 40 years as an electrician.
Some of the scenery where I work at.
ak-6-26-07e.jpg

Power house in the background at Valdez

Valdez_Terminal.jpg

Valdez Marine Terminal

bt17b-11323.jpg

Looking out the window of pump 4 dining room
Winter is 0 to -52 degrees

Caribouandoil.jpg

Caribou running in terror from coastal plain oil rig​

Oh, that's right, quit looking at some of the greatest scenery in the world,get back in the control cabinet, and get to work.

Okay, but I'm already working 7/12's and am ready to go to town for the summer.

zog

Last week wasnt very typical, we were having our annual audit by the NRC so I made myself scarce.

Mon - Memorial Day, still camping with the family
Tues - Audit begins leave office - Golf w/one of my best customers
Wed - Rained, dang cant golf, went to office, dodged NRC, went to very long lunch with another customer, back to office, hid out in shop, slid out back door.
Thurs - Golf w/ a potential customer
Friday - Audit is over, back to shop to play catch up and check prodution progress. Prep for next weeks jobs, go pick up equipment, worked late.
4AM - Meet at shop to pick up robot for demo to client next week
5AM - Back in bed, cant sleep, get some work done

mdshunk

Tuesday - piddled around on a long-term large rewiring job
Wednesday - piddled around on a long-term large rewiring job
Thursday - demolished daughter's car in the morning, did meter base and cable change on a farmhouse
Friday - installed a/c receptacle and repaired dusk to dawn light in morning, fixed some hazards I noticed at Thurday's farmhouse during the mid-day, and put up some new lights in a restaurant at the end of the day

SmithBuilt

I see I'm not the only one that runs around like a chicken with he's head cut off. It seems we're running pipe in the mud one day and making repairs in a million $ house the next, sometimes the same day.

I did catch 30 spanish mackerel on Monday with the kids. As far as the rest of the week it's a blur.

Marc I have to ask
demolished daughter's car in the morning
?

480sparky

mdshunk said:
Tuesday - piddled around on a long-term large rewiring job
Wednesday - piddled around on a long-term large rewiring job
Thursday - demolished daughter's car in the morning, did meter base and cable change on a farmhouse
Friday - installed a/c receptacle and repaired dusk to dawn light in morning, fixed some hazards I noticed at Thurday's farmhouse during the mid-day, and put up some new lights in a restaurant at the end of the day

Pics. We demand pics!

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Rockyd,
Those pictures of the teriffied caribou sure make one undestand the fear of wells.

My days:
drive 50 miles to inspection area, inspect, drive 15 miles to 2nd inspection, inspect, drive 5 miles to third, inspect, etc... then the rare one, drive 2 miles, inspect 8 apartment units...
then drive 50 miles home.. gas up.....
again, Rockyd, those wells look beautiful.

mdshunk

SmithBuilt said:
Marc I have to ask? "demolished daughter's car in the morning"
She had me parked in, so I took her car to teach her a lesson. I didn't plan on a farm tractor pulling out of a field in front of me. Nobody hurt. Farm tractor and her car are a total loss. His hay tedder is even messed up a bit too. Such is life.

khixxx

Sunday - Saturday. Unemployment :)

Repeat till Late September if necessary.

Oh I"m helping the old man put in a barn for horses, then I will be inspecting some beaches.

Status
Not open for further replies.