surface mounted box

Status
Not open for further replies.

electricalperson

i recently had to install a 4 inch square deep box on the surface of a celing because the old box was an old work box that was hacked in with 4 BX cables and i had to add another wire to that box. the problem is the home owner does not like the way the box looks. i dont think there is enough room in the celing to mount a box thats able to support a fixture and hold all those conductors. anyone have any suguesstions on a decent looking box i could use?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
electricalperson said:
i recently had to install a 4 inch square deep box on the surface of a celing because the old box was an old work box that was hacked in with 4 BX cables and i had to add another wire to that box. the problem is the home owner does not like the way the box looks. i dont think there is enough room in the celing to mount a box thats able to support a fixture and hold all those conductors. anyone have any suguesstions on a decent looking box i could use?

Use one of those retro fan box kits and use a deep octagon instead of the one provided.

pACE3-4450067dt.jpg

mdshunk

There are blankup canopies with a marked cubic inch capacity. If used with that existing box, would that do the trick for you?

Edit.. I just noticed you have a fixture on it too. You must have put the 4-square near the fixture and just ran one whip over to the fixture box, huh?

electricalperson

mdshunk said:
There are blankup canopies with a marked cubic inch capacity. If used with that existing box, would that do the trick for you?

Edit.. I just noticed you have a fixture on it too. You must have put the 4-square near the fixture and just ran one whip over to the fixture box, huh?
i was able to screw the box to the celing and use a plaster ring to mount the fixture too.

electricalperson

if i could use a old work fan kit with a deep octogon i might beable to use a light block to go around the exposed octogon to make it look a little nicer. i should be able to get a flat plastic light block

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
electricalperson said:
if i could use a old work fan kit with a deep octogon i might beable to use a light block to go around the exposed octogon to make it look a little nicer. i should be able to get a flat plastic light block

The octagon would not have to be exposed. Hold the bracket up higher.

Buck Parrish

electricalperson said:

What about a medallion between the mud ring and the light canopy.
You would have a space in between the cieling and the medallion.
But it might pass.

Status
Not open for further replies.