Help With Invoices

Status
Not open for further replies.

jayrad1122

Could anyone help me in explaining what is on an invoice? I'm in the process of starting my own business, and I need some help, if your willing, with creating the basic forms.

My questions are:

Do you include a list of materials used and/or quantity or do you just have a line titled Total Materials: $XXXX.XX I assume listing every material is a bad thing because I include every wirenut and every screw? Is there a way to get around this?

Do you include labor as Y hours x Z/hr= YZ or as a just a Line Total?

How would you include miscellaneous expenses like parking fees, tolls, etc. ? Add a miscellaneous box with a total?

Are there different forms for using a contract and T&M work?

Do you retain a signed copy by HO/GC?

Do you mail one after the job has been done or write one while your there?

Here is what I created the other day... View attachment 1751

Thank you in advance..

cadpoint

www.nebs.com is the Heat...

Besides they can get You going with other office support things like mail labels, letterheads,
shoot if you can think of they probably got it, and or make you what you truely like to use ....

I've never had any problem working with this company!

frankft2000

b

b

I buy my invoices, thet are in triplicat.

1st, always present a invoice on sight after the job is complete, thats your best shot at being paid quickly.

With my triplicate forms I list the material used, and the labor on the front page, I then flip to the last page and for my own use, I add all the material up (the customer can't see this writing). Once I find the total material I flip back to the front page and enter it as a total. I then give the customer the midle copy of the form, keeping the original for my self.

If the job has a fixed price, I make this invoice up first and have it signed before work starts.

If you haven't, you might want to take a few business and finance courses before you start your new business. Even if it's only at a local community college, it can give you a much greater insight on how to run a business.

I'm not trying to knock you by any means, but I've seen plenty of people, especially mechanics, who were great at what they do, but don't have any clue on how to run a business!

480sparky

mdshunk said:
The only time you itemize every nut, bolt, screw, and wirenut is on your truck stock replenishment form.

Agreed. Once you start putting every little part on your invoice, as well as how much the customer is paying for that part, you open yourself up to, "Well, wait a minute! You're charging me 57 cents for a receptacle I can get at Home Depot for 29 cents. I think you're ripping me off!"

I'd rather just see a scope of the work included:
"Install security light by rear door, replace GFI in kitchen, install wiring and material for electric dryer receptacle."

tmbrk

480sparky said:
Agreed. Once you start putting every little part on your invoice, as well as how much the customer is paying for that part, you open yourself up to, "Well, wait a minute! You're charging me 57 cents for a receptacle I can get at Home Depot for 29 cents. I think you're ripping me off!"

I'd rather just see a scope of the work included:
"Install security light by rear door, replace GFI in kitchen, install wiring and material for electric dryer receptacle."

Agreed. Don't give any more information than you need to. Get away from T&M and give flat rate prices for specific jobs. Make sure to write up exactly what is in the scope of the work. For example, if adding a receptacle don't just put down "added receptacle location" put down "added 120-volt single duplex receptacle location on living room wall for wall mounted T.V. above existing receptacle location. This is a great reminder of what exactly was done if there are ever any warranty issues.

jayrad1122

Ok thanks a lot!

This really helps me. What I'm getting is that I should just display a grand total area instead of setting myself up for itemizing all my material.

DanZ said:
If you haven't, you might want to take a few business and finance courses before you start your new business. Even if it's only at a local community college, it can give you a much greater insight on how to run a business.

I'm going to be going to Penn State for Electrical Engineering in the fall and I plan on minoring in business and taking as many classes as I can. Hopefully I can start my business during this as I am living at home and don't want to go full out starting it at one time.
Again thanks,

-Jared

aline

Here's a sample of the invoice I use. I have the customer sign at the top of the invoice approving the price before I start. Then I have the customer sign the bottom of the invoice after the work is complete.

DUCKMAN

3 Pieces of advice

3 Pieces of advice

1) Check your state regulations. In Mass we are required to put a license number on every form of business communication or advertisement.

2) Invest in a copy of Quickbooks. The contractors edition is less than $200, and will integrate your payables, receivables and checkbook. It makes life a lot easier at tax time. If you write a manual invoice on the job, simply create an electronic invoice that references the manual invoices number (that way, you do not have to type the whole thing out again.

3) I have a line item for misc stock. This covers screws, wirenuts anchors etc. My minimum charge for this is $10. I maight itemize all of the big items on the job, and then add this charge at the end.

tmbrk

aline said:
Here's a sample of the invoice I use. I have the customer sign at the top of the invoice approving the price before I start. Then I have the customer sign the bottom of the invoice after the work is complete.

We also require two signatures. One for authorization and one acknowledging the completion af work.

Nice invoice layout aline.:)

Do you do alot of work for Mr. Daniels?:D

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I'd suggest passing whatever you come up with past your lawyer and accountant before using them. Amateur accounting and legal work is every bit as expensive as amateur electrical work.

As for accounting software, I have often wondered why it is that small business people will spend hundreds of hours doing things poorly that they could pay someone to do well, allowing them to spend that time actually making money?

electricguy

aline said:

Thanks for posting the Sample I have been using your layout for over a year now. I have not got the invoices done in triplicate yet but I did get 100 proposals made up in triplicate for handwriting on site. I used one today the customer liked the flat rate layout ... but i didnt get a signature yet though.
I have to work on my closure sales rate.

Status
Not open for further replies.