Mobile Home Ceiling fan support

Status
Not open for further replies.

electricguy

I looked at a Mobile Home (trailer park) where the home owner added ceiling fans to 4 rooms and looks like the fans are only supported on painted plywood ..surface mounted no suitable fan support boxes. The ceiling isn't fishable. The spices are wire nut to romex ran along ceiling down wall to closest receptacle with a cord cap for connection. I want to change this to PVC wire mold and would like to know if there is a suitable surface mount for fan support.

mdshunk

masterinbama said:
wiremold makes a fan rated box
A Wiremold fan box is the only thing that comes to mind for me too.

I had a real tough one a few weeks ago with regard to a fan. It was foot square staple up tile, and the lath that it was stapled to wasn't at all fastened tight or substantial enough. I routered my own "medallion" out of 1" thick plywood, about 3 feet round, and ogee'd the edge. Fastened the medallion with many 4" deck screws through the foot square tile, through the "air space", through the old plaster above, and into the joists. I then used a Westinghouse Fanmaster Junior box in the middle of that plywood (I had a block fixed to the back of the plywood, recessed in the ceiling's finish. That was the only way I could think of to get the fan centered in the room and connected to some kind of substantial framing. Hunting the joists was impossible without poking lots of holes in the foot square tile, which is another reason the home-made medallion was necessary. To cover up the holes where I was hunting the joists. This was for a "flip", so the end product was fine with the owner. It actually looked pretty good, if you ask me. Nothing to be ashamed of, in any event.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Is it really plywood or paneling. If it were paneling I would want my fan box to be supported by a ceiling joist.

mdshunk

electricguy said:
Ceiling hugger style no drop rod. A plywood medallion would be a bit hard to work the wire mold around i think.
Oh, I know. Just something I wanted to talk about.

Those mobile homes normally have trusses built out of 2x2's. Pretty tough to get a very substantial lag in them without splitting them. Just a head's up to maybe predrill. If I remember rightly, the Wiremold fan box comes with two #12 x 2" screws to mount it to the framing.

mdshunk

frankft2000 said:
My favorite company "Arlington" also makes a surface mount fan box.
Yeah, I've used the MB-8 in the past, and even recently. One rides on the truck with me every day. It's not adaptable to a surface raceway method, however. It also won't work with hugger fans or fans with very large canopies (certain Hunters) without looking really dumb.

Status
Not open for further replies.