What height do you drill studs for new construction romex

Status
Not open for further replies.
perfect height

perfect height

Just like the others have said..... No tape measure and no chalk line. I just hold the drill where its comfortable and go. holes end up perfect height... don't have to crouch to pull wires and turn up for switches and down for recepticals.

ItsHot

No set height, just what is comfartable to drill at. I like boring with my 24 volt Dewalt and a wood auger that is a Irwin brand that I get at the Lowes stores. It is 3 times faster than anything I have ever used!

electricmanscott

This is like asking "what is you favorite color" or "colour" for you Brits.

The only thing that comes to mind with the question asked is kitchen or other cabinetry. Just beware of where you are running your cables. I learned the hard way. Those screws are pretty long.

Oh yeah.....BLUE:smile:

360Youth

I don't usually post answers that have already been given but this time I will for two reasons:

1..that I can say I stayed on topic with my answer that I drill my holes thigh-high as most everyone else has said, with the exception that I will sometimes go high or low so that I can maintain wires entering a box from the same direction. (I am a little funny that way :rolleyes::grin:)

and 2...By staying somewhat on topic, I can respond to scott with one of the great movies of all time :D

This is like asking "what is you favorite color" or "colour" for you Brits.

The only thing that comes to mind with the question asked is kitchen or other cabinetry. Just beware of where you are running your cables. I learned the hard way. Those screws are pretty long.

Oh yeah.....BLUE:smile:

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Just wondered if anyone has put thought into it. I typically go at 18" - 2' out of habit.

Same height as the middle of my thigh as I walk down the wall holding the drill.
Same here, and I usually work 'forward,' lining the drill up with the hole I just made, so the holes are more in line.

LarryFine

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I used a milwakee bit extender for years ,you could drill top plates standing on the floor
I have one, too, and love it. I almost look for a reason to clamp it on the drill. It's great for horizontal boring overhead, too, as well as drilling bottom plates, too.

In fact, with a 6"-long auger, it's great for top and bottom plates against already-sheathed outside walls, because you can tilt the hole toward the inside a little bit.

Added: By the way, are you talking about a bit extension, or the angled drill extension Milwaukee has for the angle drill?

Last edited:

LarryFine

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
No set height, just what is comfartable to drill at. I like boring with my 24 volt Dewalt and a wood auger that is a Irwin brand that I get at the Lowes stores. It is 3 times faster than anything I have ever used!
If you're talking about the 3-fluted Speedbor, you're right. They're great augers.

Second floor, top plates are drilled and wires are stapled along stud into attic, tacked over and dropped down to next box. First floor just the opposite, drill bottom plate and run through basement and back up (except for ceiling lighting which is drilled up of course), no straight across pulls. Less wire exposure and less chance of damage before rock goes up and less chances to ever hit it with a nail as the only place it will be is where a box is. You can step through any stud cavity after rough in without hitting any wires. Straight across pulls are only done if there is no other option.

Status
Not open for further replies.