Ge thqp

Status
Not open for further replies.

rich000

I cannot remember and I do not have one in front of me. Will a GE THQP slim (2-pole) breaker fit in this space straddling the black tab ? I think I remember that the black tab prevents the breaker from fitting, but I cannot recall. Thanks.

Last edited:

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Absolutely will. Look at the cases. The 1-poles, the slim half-sizes, and the 2-poles all have a relief in the case.

This bus is made for them. That's what the little cross-arms on the stabs are for.

rich000

Thanks all. I knew about the cross arms, it was the black plastic sticking up between the stabs that I was concerned about. I didn't have a breaker to look at on the truck. I rarely use a 2 pole slim.

frankft2000

Maybe I'm looking at the wrong tab, but I would say no. If you put that slimline 2 pole breaker over that little black tab you would not get 240 volts. When I say slimline I'm thing a 2 pole breaker that is a total of 1" wide. To get 240 you have to stab in over both busbars.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
I have, over time, come to the conclusion that the GE THQP was designed by Satan himself. Nothing like being forced into solving a jigsaw puzzle to reorganize circuits in a panel. :roll:

I'm pretty sure that a 240V breaker will fit over slots 2B/4A. Depending on the panel, you may need a couple spare breakers to fill the half-inch slots on 2A and 4B.

Last edited:

LarryFine

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
When I say slimline I'm thing a 2 pole breaker that is a total of 1" wide. To get 240 you have to stab in over both busbars.
Unlike tandem breakers, each side of the GE (and FP) 2-pole slim breaker does contact the other busbar. That leaves a space for a slim 1-p or one half of the next 2-p slim.

LarryFine

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I have, over time, come to the conclusion that the GE THQP was designed by Satan himself. Nothing like being forced into solving a jigsaw puzzle to reorganize circuits in a panel. :roll:
It's not that complicated. :confused:

I'm pretty sure that a 240V breaker will fit over slots 2B/4A. Depending on the panel, you may need a couple spare breakers to fill the half-inch slots on 2A and 4B.
GE also has 1/2" fillers for that.

In fact, I've used 1" and 1/2" fillers in CH and QO panels instead of the much-more-expensive brand-specific ones.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
It's not that complicated. :confused:
It depends on the application. In the past, I have come up against a panel that had an exceptional number of tandems in it. I don't remember the specifics, but I remember a fair amount of cursing and circuit shuffling that would not have been necessary with other brands.

electricmanscott

It depends on the application. In the past, I have come up against a panel that had an exceptional number of tandems in it. I don't remember the specifics, but I remember a fair amount of cursing and circuit shuffling that would not have been necessary with other brands.

I would call it flexibility that you don't get with other brands. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.