X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LarryFine
    replied
    Originally posted by George Stolz View Post
    It wouldn't have helped a bit, but I probably would have enjoyed the diversion.
    Hey, that's what we're here for. :grin:

Leave a comment:

• electricmanscott
    replied
    It depends on the application. In the past, I have come up against a panel that had an exceptional number of tandems in it. I don't remember the specifics, but I remember a fair amount of cursing and circuit shuffling that would not have been necessary with other brands.
    I would call it flexibility that you don't get with other brands.

Leave a comment:

• George Stolz
    replied
    It wouldn't have helped a bit, but I probably would have enjoyed the diversion.

Leave a comment:

• LarryFine
    replied
    Shoulda called me.

Leave a comment:

• George Stolz
    replied
    Originally posted by LarryFine View Post
    It's not that complicated. :confused:
    It depends on the application. In the past, I have come up against a panel that had an exceptional number of tandems in it. I don't remember the specifics, but I remember a fair amount of cursing and circuit shuffling that would not have been necessary with other brands.

Leave a comment:

• fishin' electrician
    replied
    The good thing about the GE design is how difficult it is to use an improper breaker. You really need to hack the wrong breaker to get them in.

Leave a comment:

• LarryFine
    replied
    I have, over time, come to the conclusion that the GE THQP was designed by Satan himself. Nothing like being forced into solving a jigsaw puzzle to reorganize circuits in a panel.
    It's not that complicated. :confused:

I'm pretty sure that a 240V breaker will fit over slots 2B/4A. Depending on the panel, you may need a couple spare breakers to fill the half-inch slots on 2A and 4B.
    GE also has 1/2" fillers for that.

In fact, I've used 1" and 1/2" fillers in CH and QO panels instead of the much-more-expensive brand-specific ones.

Leave a comment:

• LarryFine
    replied
    Originally posted by frankft2000 View Post
    When I say slimline I'm thing a 2 pole breaker that is a total of 1" wide. To get 240 you have to stab in over both busbars.
    Unlike tandem breakers, each side of the GE (and FP) 2-pole slim breaker does contact the other busbar. That leaves a space for a slim 1-p or one half of the next 2-p slim.

Leave a comment:

• George Stolz
    replied
    I have, over time, come to the conclusion that the GE THQP was designed by Satan himself. Nothing like being forced into solving a jigsaw puzzle to reorganize circuits in a panel.

I'm pretty sure that a 240V breaker will fit over slots 2B/4A. Depending on the panel, you may need a couple spare breakers to fill the half-inch slots on 2A and 4B.
    Last edited by George Stolz; 01-13-10, 09:39 AM. Reason: Goofed

Leave a comment:

• frankft2000
    replied
    Maybe I'm looking at the wrong tab, but I would say no. If you put that slimline 2 pole breaker over that little black tab you would not get 240 volts. When I say slimline I'm thing a 2 pole breaker that is a total of 1" wide. To get 240 you have to stab in over both busbars.

Leave a comment:

• rich000
    replied
    Thanks all. I knew about the cross arms, it was the black plastic sticking up between the stabs that I was concerned about. I didn't have a breaker to look at on the truck. I rarely use a 2 pole slim.

Leave a comment:

• LarryFine
    replied
    Absolutely will. Look at the cases. The 1-poles, the slim half-sizes, and the 2-poles all have a relief in the case.

This bus is made for them. That's what the little cross-arms on the stabs are for.

Leave a comment:

• Riograndeelectric
    replied
    yep. the thin breaker will fit in that location. you Can see that the bus has a rails for a full size breaker and smaller rails for the thin breakers.

Leave a comment:

• brichter
    replied
    Originally posted by rich000 View Post
    I cannot remember and I do not have one in front of me. Will a GE THQP slim (2-pole) breaker fit in this space straddling the black tab ? I think I remember that the black tab prevents the breaker from fitting, but I cannot recall. Thanks.
    Yes it will.

Leave a comment:

• rich000
    started a topic Ge thqp

Ge thqp

I cannot remember and I do not have one in front of me. Will a GE THQP slim (2-pole) breaker fit in this space straddling the black tab ? I think I remember that the black tab prevents the breaker from fitting, but I cannot recall. Thanks.
    Last edited by rich000; 01-12-10, 05:12 PM.
Working...
X