how to bid this !

Status
Not open for further replies.
hey yall, hoping to get some insite from some of you seasoned guys. went to look at a house that is getting a kit. fam rm. and liv rm. remodel the GC im bidding this for has no electrical plans (those are for me to figure out) ok i can draw up what needs to be done by code but cant get any info appliances volt amp ect.. or were at or any thing special the H O wants he says this will be submitted as a non concrete bid. demo for my electrical could be easy or a real bear as you know whats a good way to price along with the rest of what i said already. no attic but there is a crawl any help would be great. thanks.

WirenutNH

I would bid to meet code and anything above will be extra, stated clearly with what is code. Not my prefered way but may get you in the door with GC and if you go easy on customer may lead to future work?

electricmanscott

I could ballpark a kitchen job pretty easily but only because I've done a gazillion of them. The problem though is even when they ask for a ballpark figure whatever you tell them is the number they are going with. When it comes time to sign the actual contract and it is different (higher of course because they finally decide to tell you what the job actually entails) the headaches begin.

Get as much info upfront, keep pushing until they make some decisions. Otherwise make it clear repeatedly that the number is not a firm quote.

response

response

thanks for the input guys and BTW im a 5 month old business so i will do whatever i can to create income and in this part of the state we are very strong and well recognized.

satcom

thanks for the input guys and BTW im a 5 month old business so i will do whatever i can to create income and in this part of the state we are very strong and well recognized.

Just remember creating income, and working for GC's do not go together.

Resi Sucks

Resi Sucks

However, we all seem to be invloved.
Tell the HO,
is there an Island??
is there a cook top in such?
Then simply give the GC a bare AHJ bid.
Then tell the GC to get the HO to agree with the Scope and all additional request is T&M.
Remember one thing. there are many decitfull people out there.
**Also, why is the GC being so ambigious in as far as your scope of work anyway..
**Sounds like double trouble..
Design

"typical kitchen"

"typical kitchen"

50 amp range
(4) 15 amp dedicated: refrigerator, garbage disposal, dishwasher, range hood (some on forum will argue some or all should be 20amp)
(2) 20amp small appliance GFCI protected circuits w/ (8) receptacles
(6) 26w fluorescent cans
(3) under counter fluorescent's
(4) single pole switches
(2) ceiling outlets w/ customer supplied fixtures (over sink & dining room)

Rough, but fairly standard

satcom

I could ballpark a kitchen job pretty easily but only because I've done a gazillion of them. The problem though is even when they ask for a ballpark figure whatever you tell them is the number they are going with. When it comes time to sign the actual contract and it is different (higher of course because they finally decide to tell you what the job actually entails) the headaches begin.

Get as much info upfront, keep pushing until they make some decisions. Otherwise make it clear repeatedly that the number is not a firm quote.

This seems like the best answer

The General contractor has agreed on a price with the home owner. The more he pays you, the less he gets to keep.

Make your bid as specific as possible, listing minmum code items, such as outlets on 6/12 centers, how many your bid includes, single or threeway switching at ? price, and stick to this cost. Don't forget the arc faults and GFCI's and smoke and CO detectors

If the home owner wants outlets for flat screens, "more" cans, dimmers, 240 volt service to "spa tub", it is all a change order, and more money.

Deliver what has to be done at a decent price, and charge extra for extra's.

Gary Grizzle

electricmanscott

Please find another word instead of "retard". That word is hurtful in so many ways. Thanks.

Please don't tell me what words I can or can not use. Thanks. :roll:

I agree with specgrade, "retard" really is unnecessary, please grow up...

So you're going to chastise me for using a word that you don't like and then say something like "grow up"? Ok :roll:

Last edited:

electricmanscott

50 amp range
(4) 15 amp dedicated: refrigerator, garbage disposal, dishwasher, range hood (some on forum will argue some or all should be 20amp)
(2) 20amp small appliance GFCI protected circuits w/ (8) receptacles
(6) 26w fluorescent cans
(3) under counter fluorescent's
(4) single pole switches
(2) ceiling outlets w/ customer supplied fixtures (over sink & dining room)

Rough, but fairly standard

There is really no such thing as a typical kitchen. This list proves just that. There is no substitution for specing the actual project at hand.

satcom

There is really no such thing as a typical kitchen. This list proves just that. There is no substitution for specing the actual project at hand.

We were just talking about this today, and none of us could remember seeing a typical kitchen job, what usually happens is, the owner of GC options for min and your adding or going back for extras.

electricmanscott

Not when it is something I feel strongly about. You are welcome.:cool:

I can understand that certain words bother certain people and I'm sure there are valid reasons however I am just so fed up with the way things have gone. It seems that if one person is bothered by something, be it words, a picture, a tv show, whatever it's up to everybody else to change their behavior or opinion etc, so that person is not upset. I have kids in public schools and it is ridiculous the way they let one or two people affect everybody else.

When a word is used and you find it offensive it is because you view it that way. I'm sure there are things that people laugh at or poke fun at or just find humorous that others would be horrified to hear. Usually it's all fun and games until it's something that affects you personally and then it becomes "hey that's not funny" .

Joe Biden dropped an F bomb the other day and the way it's been reported you'd think he capped a reporter on the way back from the microphone. I say woopdee friggin do.

I had a battle last week on another site with a guy who used a choice racial term. It bothered me and we argued over it. After a few days I realized that my main gripe was that I think the guy is a jerk and the word was just the trigger to get the argument going. :D But in reality whether or not I like what he said he has every right to say it and that's the bottom line. I can disagree but I have no choice but to respect that it is his opinion and who am I to say he shouldn't be allowed to voice it.

All that said I won't tip toe around things out of fear that somebody might be offended. There used to be a saying "BLEEP 'em if they can't take a joke"

See how I censored myself there. :)

specgrade

I can understand that certain words bother certain people and I'm sure there are valid reasons however I am just so fed up with the way things have gone. It seems that if one person is bothered by something, be it words, a picture, a tv show, whatever it's up to everybody else to change their behavior or opinion etc, so that person is not upset. I have kids in public schools and it is ridiculous the way they let one or two people affect everybody else.

When a word is used and you find it offensive it is because you view it that way. I'm sure there are things that people laugh at or poke fun at or just find humorous that others would be horrified to hear. Usually it's all fun and games until it's something that affects you personally and then it becomes "hey that's not funny" .

Joe Biden dropped an F bomb the other day and the way it's been reported you'd think he capped a reporter on the way back from the microphone. I say woopdee friggin do.

I had a battle last week on another site with a guy who used a choice racial term. It bothered me and we argued over it. After a few days I realized that my main gripe was that I think the guy is a jerk and the word was just the trigger to get the argument going. :D But in reality whether or not I like what he said he has every right to say it and that's the bottom line. I can disagree but I have no choice but to respect that it is his opinion and who am I to say he shouldn't be allowed to voice it.

All that said I won't tip toe around things out of fear that somebody might be offended. There used to be a saying "BLEEP 'em if they can't take a joke"

See how I censored myself there. :)

Fair enough. I don't know enough about you to think of you as a jerk or otherwise. It's the word I take issue with. I am glad to read that you took a stand against the racial slurr and can understand I feel. ;)

Remember : Only you can prevent forest fires. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.