Wire Mold or ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chasman

I am starting discussions on making improvements toa turn of the century apartment building. There nineteen small units.

There is a SQ D Homeline panel in each unit, but only one circuit for everything in the unit (The owner paid for this in 2004).

I budgeted the use of wire mold to add receptacles and switches, since they do not want to tear up the place.

This is for a non-profit that will place "clients" in the apartments for long term and transisional housing.

Any thoughts on wiring methods other than wiremold?
Suggestions for cutting and installing lots of wiremold?

PetrosA

Without seeing the place it's hard to give a good answer, but I'll throw some ideas out there.

Questions I'd ask are:

How big are the individual units?
How are the exterior walls constructed?
What kind of floors are there?
What are you going to be required to install in each unit to meet various codes?
Can you work one unit when empty or do you have to do them all in a row while occupied?

I would rather see stuff fished when possible, but working conditions/budget may not allow for that. Someone who's good at old work should be able to fish a building that age with minimal damage unless it's a high end style mansion or something (wallpaper, wainscoting, parquet/marble floors, etc.)

If you're going to have to install outlets to code, lights, smokes, an A/C outlet here and there, kitchen circuits etc. then the raceway can really start to get out of hand. Best option is to do one unit at a time and have someone follow you with patch/paint. It might even be cheaper than Wiremold fittings and boxes...

Chasman

Thanks for the replies.

I agree walls can be fished with limited patching. I had a discussion with my customer and EMT is alright with them.

These are small units (Studio & 1 bdrm @ 550 SQ Ft.).

Lathe and plaster walls, not sure of the exterior walls (if solid would not want to cut and channel).

I can certainly picture the raceway getting out of control, quickly.

We are going to be able to have a meeting soon to get specific. The units will likely come available one or two at a time, hopefully the first ones are unoccupied.

electricmanscott

Where are the panels located. I've worked in many old apartment buildings. Usually the panels were in the back hall stairway. We'd cut a hole above the panel and snake circuits form there.

A couple of kitchen receptacle circuits, a bath receptacle and a living room receptacle near a window for an ac.

This takes ,most of the large load off the old wiring which can still be used for lighter stuff.

Minimal patching and a better job aesthetically.

I've done tons of these in the past. Most units were occupied.

danickstr

EMT in an apartment, of any kind, seems to lessen the value of the living area, unless it's a modern yuppie thing. I would hate to do it, since a bit of patch would make up for so much. I often drill 4" holes in the drywall/plaster and then they just glue back in place easily and patch it and paint it, and you are done. It seems 6-8 little holes would do a lot of the work in this situation.

GUNNING

Woo HOO!

Woo HOO!

Transient housing sounds like maybe you need to think Kevlar bullet proof installation. Its amazing what a schizophrenic, PT SD, heroin addict or just plain homeless can do off of drug therapy.
If possible put it in the walls. Definitely CAFCI with GFCI receptacles. Steel materials and anything else stronger. Reread section on what wiring methods are allowed in communal living situations. Do a service size calculation, it might surprise you. Strongly suggest alarm system with smokes and access system if there is a front desk with maybe a panic button. New CATV Circuit runs to meet local cable standards? New grounding on service? You will need an annunciation panel if it has a bunch of apartments. The hazard here will be fire, tenants misuse of electrons (they don't exactly make rational decisions) and maybe a few smokers or depressed cases with suicidal tendencies. See if they have any space in need of being wired for oxygen or medical use (special use needs). Sounds like a great opportunity. Lots of grant money now for Non Profits and NGO's!

Status
Not open for further replies.