Switchgear Line up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
I am helping estimating a job and I was just wondering about something pertaining to the switchgear. There is a switchboard with (4) 200A switches, (2) 100A * (2) 60A switches. This would get delivered in sections, correct? Also how is this stuff connected together? Is there a busbar that runs through the gear that has to be bolted together?

Thanks

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
You get to specify... service switchgear ?, if so you obviously need a main (6 disconnect rule)..all that would normally be in 1 section unless you specified otherwise.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I agree with Charlie. Unless this was some special type of swichgear or had size limitations, that should all fit into one section.

LawnGuyLandSparky

I am helping estimating a job and I was just wondering about something pertaining to the switchgear. There is a switchboard with (4) 200A switches, (2) 100A * (2) 60A switches. This would get delivered in sections, correct?

Yes. Though the quantity of switches you indicate tells me you'll get it all in 2 sections, the first to contain the main disco and the CT cabinet.

Also how is this stuff connected together? Is there a busbar that runs through the gear that has to be bolted together?

Thanks
Exactly.

ohmhead

Well with just what you said service rated or not it will be a distribution type panel not a switchboard id guess at 600 amp 3 phase or what ever your source of power is ? But it depends on your load demand cals .

Breakers dont total up to full ampacity of a panel just the loads on them .

We do lots of switchboards so we can give you a heads up .

ITS A PANEL

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
Well with just what you said service rated or not it will be a distribution type panel not a switchboard id guess at 600 amp 3 phase or what ever your source of power is ? But it depends on your load demand cals .

Breakers dont total up to full ampacity of a panel just the loads on them .

We do lots of switchboards so we can give you a heads up .

ITS A PANEL

THis is the line up DP-A and here is what my switchgear vendor told me but I don't completely understand.

"This will be one section, and will be panelboard mounting. The 200A switches are twin units so there are (3) double units, the 100A will be one, and the 60A are twin units.

It goes by unit heights, I can explain better next time I see you."

I am helping estimating a job and I was just wondering about something pertaining to the switchgear. There is a switchboard with (4) 200A switches, (2) 100A * (2) 60A switches. This would get delivered in sections, correct? Also how is this stuff connected together? Is there a busbar that runs through the gear that has to be bolted together?

Thanks

Switchgear and switchboard are two different animals.

Not only does your description leads one to believe that this is a switchboard, but the degree of assembly even in the case of switchgear is only dependent on the factory's shipping and assembly capability and you would see that in the approval drawings. The customer can request the minimu/maximum number of shipping splits.

Switchboards can be purchased either shipped assembled or parts 'kit'. The former costs more and takes longer to deliver. The latter is (almost) always plaqued by missing or wrong parts.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
Ok, yes this is a distribution board and will be more vertical in height not horizontal as the attached drawing shows. That threw me off. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.