Pool installation workbook and dvd

Status
Not open for further replies.

mark32

When it comes to pools I have very little experience. Only once did I help bond a pool with a friend but I'd like to understand 680 much more. Seems like you'll get different answers to the same questions from electricians and inspectors alike. I'd like to get some sort of guide with pics and commentary from a reputable source. Even Mike's PDF on pools, while informative, comes up short to me. I wanna take the guess work out of this mysterious article. Tom Henry has a workbook and dvd out on this topic and before ordering it ($59) I was wondering if anyone has read through it or seen the dvd.

krisinjersey

Tom Henry ZZzzzzzzzz

Tom Henry ZZzzzzzzzz

Tom Henry made me sleep through shop in High school. I used Mike's stuff for my exam and for estimating. It's the stuff I trust and since a pool is predominantly a grounding issue and Mike is one of the foremast experts in that area, I 'd go with Mike's stuff. Don't be afraid to read 680. It's not a real long article and half of it doesn't apply to pools. If you have a hand book the pictures may tell you more as well.

mark32

Thanks for the reply Kris. I have 5 or 6 Tom Henry books and 1 from Mike. Both have their own style but I enjoy both, although I admit I'd probably purchase a MH product over a TH one at this point, but the thing Mike doesn't have such a product. Read 680?? I've read it over and over, but as you know the NEC provides no guidance, just rules.

mark32

For those interested, I purchased the book and dvd mentioned above. As I wrote, I do own a number of Tom Henry books and enjoy most of them, however, I was a little disappointed with the pool book and even more so with the dvd. The book is in typical Tom fashion, there are some sketches and comments that go along with the article in question but I was expecting more of that. I wanted indepth insight and pictures but the book lacked them. With the dvd, I was under the same impression, give detailed step by step footage of the pool being wired and bonded. This dvd focused mainly on the assembly of the pool itself, only the last ten minutes of the hour long dvd pertained to electrical and that mainly focused on the pool light. I don't believe the word "equipotential bond" was even mentioned. I was very unhappy with the product but luckily I was allowed to send it back for a refund. Obviously there is a need for such a product, look at every thread here on pools, confusion is abound, not even inspectors want to discuss 680.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.