Greenlee Draw Stud

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know if a 3/4" fine thread bolt would work as a draw stud for a Greenlee knockout punch? Grade 8 perhaps? Am I gonna destroy the threads on the die?

Article 90.1

If you have a good auto parts store near by, or perhaps a Fastenall, they might have a thread pitch gauge that you could measure both bolts with. I'll measure one of mine the next time I'm in Fastenall. My only concern is that even a grade 8 might not be tempered the same as the Greenlee draw stud and it could shatter.

I screwed a fine thread 3/8 nut (3/8-24) onto the draw stud for a smaller size punch and it worked. So I'm assuming it's gonna be the same deal for the larger size (3/4-16). Maybe I'm trying to do something that just isn't worth doing.

How much does a 3/4 draw stud run these days?

Volta

Does anyone know if a 3/4" fine thread bolt would work as a draw stud for a Greenlee knockout punch? Grade 8 perhaps? Am I gonna destroy the threads on the die?

But you need the bearing raceway too, right? It is effectively part of the drawbolt, so simply finding an acceptable grade bolt isn't enough, as far as I know.

But you need the bearing raceway too, right? It is effectively part of the drawbolt, so simply finding an acceptable grade bolt isn't enough, as far as I know.

That I'm not sure of... I have an older Greenlee radio chasis punch that doesn't have a ball bearing on the stud. It's just a square headed bolt.

Status
Not open for further replies.