type G-GC Cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Can this cable be direct buried?
310.7 in part says conductors used in direct burial applications shall be of a type identified for such use.

The definition...
Identified (as applied to equipment). Recognizable as
suitable for the specific purpose, function, use, environment,
application, and so forth, where described in a particular
Code requirement.

FPN: Some examples of ways to determine
suitability of equipment for a specific purpose, environment,
or application include investigations by a qualified
testing laboratory (listing and labeling), an inspection
agency, or other organizations concerned with product
evaluation.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
So can it be run just laying on the dirt. It was called for on a temp power project by the GC and there is about 2000' of it. Thanks.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
I believe that to be accurate. That's some real money! What size cable are you using?

Yeah they call for g-gc and sow. We are using #8 up to 2/0. A whole bunch of pumps(15hp thru 400hp). The gc actually provided a one-line with footage and cable size. The 2/0 g- gc was 15k per m

hardworkingstiff

Yeah they call for g-gc and sow. We are using #8 up to 2/0. A whole bunch of pumps(15hp thru 400hp). The gc actually provided a one-line with footage and cable size. The 2/0 g- gc was 15k per m

I have found W cable to actually be less expensive than G cable. If you are not installing a ground check system, then you might want to look at comparing the cost of W cable to the G cable. Just remember, W cable counts the ground and G does not. So if you are sending 3 hots and a ground, you would use a 3 conductor G cable or a 4 conductor W cable. W cable has a full size ground and G cable has reduced ground. If you already knew that, sorry.

iwire

Staff member
So if you are sending 3 hots and a ground, you would use a 3 conductor G cable or a 4 conductor W cable. W cable has a full size ground and G cable has reduced ground. If you already knew that, sorry.

I did not know that and for sure that could really suck to learn the hard way.

hardworkingstiff

One other thing (if you don't know this) is that most of the standard lugs we use in our equipment are not listed/rated to accept the fine stranding of G cable. In other words, you will have to crimp something on the cable before terminating.

hardworkingstiff

What exactly are you referring to. The grounds and if so how could it kill the profits? Thanks

If you used W cable instead of G, and did not know you needed to count the ground a conductor in the W cable (where you don't in the G), and you ordered the W as if it was G you would be short a conductor and the mistake could cost the profits in the job.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
I'm not familiar with "G" cable and looked it up on Southwire's site. I noted most of theirs had (2) grounds, for example on the 2/0 it showed having (2) #4 grounds. Why ?

hardworkingstiff

I'm not familiar with "G" cable and looked it up on Southwire's site. I noted most of theirs had (2) grounds, for example on the 2/0 it showed having (2) #4 grounds. Why ?

I don't know, but my guess would be for a redundant ground. The G-GC cable has another small yellow (I think around a #10) conductor that I believe is used for the ground check system.

I too would like to know why.

Status
Not open for further replies.