Conduit Mounted To Fence

Status
Not open for further replies.

Loffgren

I have always thought the code did not allow mounting conduit-pvc etc to fences. I bid a job and was told the other electrician was going to mount the conduit to the fence. Am i wrong?

Loffgren

re

re

Good question, I dont know. It looks as if I am wrong, thinking that a fence is not a permanent structure. Or I may have thought it was unproffesional..Or maybe a shared structure? Thats why I am asking (politely)

Last edited:

480sparky

I can see the little stick-in-the-ground decorative fenced not being considered structures.

But if you gotta dig holes, or drive posts into the ground, in order to build a fence, it's a structure IMPO.

The short fence, to me, is not a structure. The tall one is.

fences.jpg

Last edited:

Loffgren

re

re

Safe to say I should ask the inspector...? Seems like there is no defined answer if the fence is a permante structure

wawireguy

Why does it have to be permanent? What if it's temp power on a temporary fence. I think it's ugly but the customer gets what the customer wants if it's NEC compliant.

Loffgren

re

re

Working in an area where it is impossible to dig deeper than 8-10 inches, tons of bolders and bed rock, no big ol tractor access. One idea was to run pvc along the bottom of a wooden fence that has a horizontal 2x6 plank at the bottom and cover with dirt bark lanscape etc..

cowboyjwc

Staff member
If it's a property line fence you could have some problems. Let's say that the fence is built 6" onto your property because the neighbor didn't want to help pay for it, then you own both sides of the fence and he would not be allowed to attach to it, but if it's a true property line fence then what you do one your side is up to you.

iwire

Staff member
I can see the little stick-in-the-ground decorative fenced not being considered structures.

But if you gotta dig holes, or drive posts into the ground, in order to build a fence, it's a structure IMPO.

The short fence, to me, is not a structure. The tall one is.

fences.jpg

If it did not grow there it is a struture.

Even that little fence was 'built' by someone.

kwired

Electron manager
Working in an area where it is impossible to dig deeper than 8-10 inches, tons of bolders and bed rock, no big ol tractor access. One idea was to run pvc along the bottom of a wooden fence that has a horizontal 2x6 plank at the bottom and cover with dirt bark lanscape etc..

You will most likely need to run sch 80 PVC because it will probably be considered to be subject to physical damage. Even sch 80 is likely to look like hell in a short time. You could run RMC or IMC either on the fence or in the ground, even if only able to dig 8-10 inches.

If covering with dirt, bark, landscape, etc I would think it is considered buried and needs to be buried to depth determined by T300.5 RMC or IMC is still my answer.

TOOL_5150

If it's a property line fence you could have some problems. Let's say that the fence is built 6" onto your property because the neighbor didn't want to help pay for it, then you own both sides of the fence and he would not be allowed to attach to it, but if it's a true property line fence then what you do one your side is up to you.

so if the fence is completely on HIS side, or its a property line fence, he is fine. If its completely on the neighbors side, then he cant attach anything to it. Correct?

~Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.