250kw generator

Status
Not open for further replies.

wireperson

a customer of mine wants to buy and install a 250kw portable generator and wants me to find one with low hours, any advises in brands ? what are considered low hours in a generator this big? what should I look for when looking or inspecting the generator?

hurk27

portable generator @ 250 KW that might be a tough find? almost all the one I have seen that big are not portable, at least unless you mount it on a semi trailer, I would also assume it will be a 3-phase unit, Kohler make some big units, as well as Detroit Diesel (not sure if there still makeing generators)

wireperson

this gen will be use in hurrican season here in florida in case they loos power, 3phase, manual TS, there's no room for a pad mounted gen. Im trying to find something that the parts are easy to find here in the US.

krisinjersey

Kohler

Kohler

Kohler makes a very nice towable unit. It's big and heavy and you would need a feasible way to hook it up. Last semi permanent install we did, we put a cabinet outside with weatherproof terminals for the welding cable ends. Then just piped into the building and onto the emergency supply side of the ATS. We put in a gravel bed for the trailer to park on. http://www.kohlerpower.com/onlinecatalog/pdf/g5570.pdf This unit was expensive, but the customer is happy with the finished product and Kohler has great service techs.

ceb58

this gen will be use in hurrican season here in florida in case they loos power, 3phase, manual TS, there's no room for a pad mounted gen. Im trying to find something that the parts are easy to find here in the US.

Why such a large KW? You could look on E-bay under their commercial-industrial equipment listing. If you find one I would not buy it until I had some one with a load bank come test it. That will tell the story of the engine performance under a heavy load along with every thing else. But I will say you need to calculate the customers needed load. Buying a unit that large and hooking it to a light load is the worst thing you can do to the motor. A unit that large would be diesel and with a light load you wind up "wet stacking" the engine.

a customer of mine wants to buy and install a 250kw portable generator and wants me to find one with low hours, any advises in brands ? what are considered low hours in a generator this big? what should I look for when looking or inspecting the generator?

Call Ring Power in Jacksonville. They have a large inventory of generators. They can also custom build to spec. They specialize in refurbished systems.

Happy Hunting.

Status
Not open for further replies.