Not open for further replies.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
The only panel change-out I have done I did in this manner:
Identified and labeled all circuits.
Had the POCO pull the meter.
Used a generator for lights, receptacles, etc.
Removed old panel(fuse panel)
Installed new breaker panel
Installed conductors and breakers and label
Wait for inspection
Have POCO reinstall meter.

This was simple because there was no one living in the house and the panel size, 200A, was the same, no change in the SE conductors. My question is, how do you guys handle a change-out like this? And how do you change one when there are people living in the house? Also, how do you figure charges for the time it takes to identify each circuit when they are not marked or marked very well?
Thanks!

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
And how do you change one when there are people living in the house?

they have to find something to do for that day, or sit in the dark. generators can be made available if necessary for an extra charge.

Also, how do you figure charges for the time it takes to identify each circuit when they are not marked or marked very well?

I add a couple hours labor; if it something that can't be readily found, it gets marked "receps" or something generic.

mgmelec

Here in NJ we do our own disconnect / reconnect.
No generator for me, I made up a cord with alligator clips on one end and a gfi on the other for temp power.
With a helper a 200 amp upgrade should take just under 8 hrs to complete, that includes labeling the new panel.

ASK_EDDIE

I just did a meter/ panel change out on thursday, the meterbase was bad. It was underground feed so i had to have power company shut it down. absolutely nothing fit back right, the power company wires were too short for 2 different kinds of meterbases.... I had a feeling it was coming. I thought of everything, we didnt have to leave for any parts, the power company didnt come untill after 11 am even though i had given plenty of notice the day before. we were back at the office at 5 so it was still an 8 hour job any way you look at it.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Same here with doing our own disconnect and reconnect. Usually I can have the house energized in less than 4 hours so the homeowners can stay or go if they wish.

I also hot wire the drop so I can use power for my tools if I need it. Sometimes I just swing the overhead out of the way add my new stuff and then jump from the load of the old meter to the line of the new meter. I usually have a few meter jumpers to get power on in the house.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Same here with doing our own disconnect and reconnect. Usually I can have the house energized in less than 4 hours so the homeowners can stay or go if they wish.

I also hot wire the drop so I can use power for my tools if I need it. Sometimes I just swing the overhead out of the way add my new stuff and then jump from the load of the old meter to the line of the new meter. I usually have a few meter jumpers to get power on in the house.

I have 2 POCOs to deal with. The one on the change-out I did said that they would come and pull the meter, then come and put it back before inspection if the HO would sign a waiver releasing them from liability until it could be inspected. I don't know how the other (city) POCO handles this. I don't have any experience pulling meters even if they allow it. I just wondered how you guys handle this.

ASK_EDDIE

We used to just cut the meter seals and pull meters when needed, however back last summer they said they were going to fining EC's for cutting their meter seals. So ive been trying to follow protocal without much luck, "theres no such thing a meter seal when there is no meter in place" . "you are who? and you want to do what?" Very frustrating.

GUNNING

meter shop

meter shop

They play with procedures here too. If you can get ahold of the meter shop you might be able to get them to come out to reseal the meter after the fact. Always have the AHJ in the loop when ya can, you don't want to get in the middle of a peeing contest. This would be for a look see not a change out.

tkb

The last one I did was in CT. CL&P land.
You are allowed to pull the meter and disconnect and reconnect the drop.
You are not allowed to reinstall the meter.
I had to go to pull the permit in person and the instector gave me meter jumpers and a blank meter cover. He told me just to hang the meter under the socket and the power company will install it.

Status
Not open for further replies.