Relocating a 225 Amp, 3 Phase Panel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robot Jon

I'm currently completing some design for a condo renovation, and the client asked if the electrical panel (currently in a storage room) could be moved in order to turn the room into a small suite. I can't see an issue with moving the panel, just with how to go about it. The new design for the room where the panel is currently located shows a bathroom, with a sink next to the panels current location. The panel can't be turned around because it backs into a stairwell, directly over the stairs. There is a small storage room on the other side of the stairwell, so I was thinking of relocating it there. Is there a way to move this panel without having to re-run all new wiring (i.e. using a large panel type, junction box)? or will all the wiring need to be gutted and re-ran?

Of note, the panel is pretty loaded with circuits.

Just looking for the most cost effective method of doing this.

Thanks,

Last edited:

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
No reason you can't splice the home runs. If there is attic or crawl spaces above or below then you could add the JB's there.

Robot Jon

Thanks Dennis for your reply. There is a ceiling space to run all wires in conduit to new panel location. The only other question I have would be would you use many small junction boxes (with a hatch to access them), or would you use an one large junction box (ie a hollowed out panel box, that has a lockable cover)? and if I used a large junction box, is there an issue with that junction box being located over stairs? I know panelboards over stairs is a no-no, but this technically wouldn't be a panelboard, just a junction box.

Thanks

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
You can use one large JB for everything (feeder, branch circuits) if it's sized properly. Personally that's how I would do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.