Salt Water Fills Crawl Space And One Inch of Floor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

highvolts582

I Have an estimate to do for a flood from Irene. The crawlspace filled with saltwater. At a minimum I will replace all outlet devices and redo all splices with new wirenuts and replace any metal boxes. I have not seen this job yet. Does anyone think I need to replace the wires some how also? Just want to know what Im talking about when I get there.

Thanks for all your thoughts
Feel The Power Electric

growler

I Have an estimate to do for a flood from Irene. The crawlspace filled with saltwater. At a minimum I will replace all outlet devices and redo all splices with new wirenuts and replace any metal boxes. I have not seen this job yet. Does anyone think I need to replace the wires some how also? Just want to know what Im talking about when I get there.

Thanks for all your thoughts
Feel The Power Electric

I think it would depend on how much wiring that runs through the crawl space. Many houses don't have all that much wiring that's in the crawl space and others have most of the wiring running through the crawl space.

If it's damaged then it needed to be replace.

I was doing a basement once that got flooded but none of the electrical was damaged because the water was only about a foot deep and the bottom of my boxes were 16" AFF. Some rolls of wire that were on the floor were damaged and couldn't be used.

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
So if the romex got wet the wire is damaged. And should be replaced?

well, newer romex has a pretty sturdy and robust jacket, so i doubt that there would be a problem, if the ends
were not immersed, but it's your license and your liability.

i'd replace it. if there is that much under the structure. most houses don't do that much in the crawl space
with wiring, so it's probably minimal. and if you have to cut open walls to redo it, those walls are gonna have
have the bottom drywall removed and redone anyway.... 1" of seawater is gonna play hell on baseboards and
sheetrock.

most of us get paid for PSI..... putting sh** in.... and the cost of replacing romex in a house that is going to
undergo substantial remediation is pretty minimal as a percentage of the total cost of the damage.

Status
Not open for further replies.