No announcement yet.

This thread is to report Issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes, for me searches are fast but opening a thread from the search list and posting to a thread are both slow again.
    It is unfortunately easy to think that you have solved an intermittent problem.

Comment

Using Tapatalk, when I view a new topic, it never seems to start at post #1. It doesn’t go to the very end either if there are several replies.

For instance a post with say 6 replies, it’ll start at post 3 or 4.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
      [COLOR="Blue"]Brought to you by Carl's Jr.[/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by brantmacga View Post
        Using Tapatalk, when I view a new topic, it never seems to start at post #1. It doesn’t go to the very end either if there are several replies.

For me (iPhone 7, iOS 12.4.1) a new topics always starts at post #2 on Tapatalk.
        It acts like it’s trying to center the ad that is placed between post 1 & 2, but somehow fails and ends up just below the ad, which is at post 2.

Comment

Originally posted by retirede View Post

For me (iPhone 7, iOS 12.4.1) a new topics always starts at post #2 on Tapatalk.
          It acts like it’s trying to center the ad that is placed between post 1 & 2, but somehow fails and ends up just below the ad, which is at post 2.
          It only happens to me on this forum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          [COLOR="Blue"]Brought to you by Carl's Jr.[/COLOR]

Comment

It only happens to me on this forum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            There are other forums?? 🤔

Comment

We're working through some issues that were caused by the upgrade. This is on the list to address once all of the main features are 100%. Please message directly with any specifics and screen shots.

Comment

Originally posted by webmaster View Post

We're working through some issues that were caused by the upgrade..
                upgrade?

lowest bidder is what it seems like

and hey, i understand if you say the chat room isn't a big part of your biz

but please.... let's call a spade a spade

~RJ~

Comment

Originally posted by zbang View Post

What did they come up with (in the glowing technical terms)? Cache issues? Database config? There's enough software knowledge here to understand.
                  It was a large number of things. We host with AWS cloud and have a completely scaleable platform so while we were still on VB4 we upgraded everything server side PHP, MySQL, etc, including some optional memory, processor core, bandwidth and drive space upgrades to avoid performance issues after the upgrade. Not sure that helped a lot but made it easier to be confident it wasn't that when we started troubleshooting issues. During the test run we pushed out the upgrade a dozen or more times addressing many issues each time and finally achieving a stable version for the moderators to test, but as you know there were numerous issues, and some still remain. We've set up cron jobs to handle some nasty little habits VB 5 has of bloating cache and screwing up data, and are still implementing little tweaks on a daily basis to speed loading and post times. I can't imagine what other sites have gone through that don't have the support or talent at their disposal (we have a crazy skilled, full time PHP/LINUX/MySQL guy) that we are blessed to have.

The biggest impact on performance had to do with how VB5 handles on-page search query shortcut buttons (Today's posts, Last two days, etc). They have some big issues they need to address but are unwilling to acknowledge them so we have had to be very creative. We are going to attempt to add back each feature and mitigate the impact on page load/post times one by one. The VB5 upgrade path wasn't designed for a large forum with the number of threads and users we have so we've had to manually clean up and edit user/mod settings and entries in the DB to address many of the issues that they should have automatically addressed as part of the upgrade. If you go into the VB5 support forum and read about a problem, we had to address it, and it was a real pain.

People have mentioned we should hire them to help us but we don't want to spend the money... I assure you that couldn't be farther from the truth. We've tried numerous times to pay them for support including asking them to recommend a vendor that does this type of upgrade professionally, but their support system is worthless and they respond late if ever to anything you request support for.

If there had been any other option for VB4, like a patch, we would have left well enough alone, but it had a huge unpatched vulnerability. Several VB4 sites have been compromised over the last few months exposing user info which was then dumped on the dark web. We can't allow that, so we decided to upgrade. At one point we also considered different software completely but felt the burden on the team of volunteer moderators was far to high with very little return. I decided to deal with it behind the scenes so the users and moderators didn't have to. I believe we're finally closing in on it so your patience is appreciated.

One piece of good news is that we had a penetration test completed last week and it came out very clean so we're as safe as you can be in the current climate.

I hope that was enough "glowing technical" detail to satisfy. We appreciate you guys and all you do for the industry. Our team is committed to helping save lives and this forum contributes to that goal every day. Stay tuned for more improvements as we add back features.

- Brian House and The Tech Team, Mike Holt Enterprises.
                  Last edited by webmaster; 09-17-19, 06:20 PM.

Comment

Yay! The New Topics button is back! run1.gif

One suggestion: Please move it to the far Left end of that bar!
                    Master Electrician
                    Electrical Contractor
                    Richmond, VA

Comment

Originally posted by LarryFine View Post
                      Yay! The New Topics button is back! run1.gif

One suggestion: Please move it to the far Left end of that bar!
                      I noticed that also.. I was going to ask this arrangement

Moderators......New Posts.....Today's Post....Last 2 Days.....Last 3 Days....Last Week (Not sure we need it but why not)....Member List.... Who's Online....Help

How does that look?
                      They say I shot a man named Gray and took his wife to Italy
                      She inherited a million bucks and when she died it came to me
                      I can't help it if I'm lucky

Comment

Originally posted by Dennis Alwon View Post

I noticed that also.. I was going to ask this arrangement

Moderators......New Posts.....Today's Post....Last 2 Days.....Last 3 Days....Last Week (Not sure we need it but why not)....Member List.... Who's Online....Help

How does that look?
                        Almost; New Posts should be first. Nobody looks for Moderators first; that should be near Members List.
                        Master Electrician
                        Electrical Contractor
                        Richmond, VA

Comment

One piece of good news is that we had a penetration test completed last week and it came out very clean so we're as safe as you can be in the current climate.

I hope that was enough "glowing technical" detail to satisfy. We appreciate you guys and all you do for the industry. Our team is committed to helping save lives and this forum contributes to that goal every day. Stay tuned for more improvements as we add back features.

- Brian House and The Tech Team, Mike Holt Enterprises.
                          Brian, and Team, I want to extend a hearty HUZZAH and Thank You! for the work you are doing.

And as an old propeller head, thanks for taking the time for the discourse on the process.

Another Al in Minnesota

Comment

Has the “todays posts” stopped working? It won’t refresh. I have seen several posts but they don’t show up in today’s post. They show up in the forums page.

Comment

I hope that was enough "glowing technical" detail to satisfy. .
                              Yes, thansk, and I actually understand all that . Does sound like the v5 of vbulletin was not built for more than hobbyist use. (Add to that my general dislike of mysql/preference to postgres, and that there's a lot of really bad PHP out there.)

Comment

Cannot access the LOCATION field in my profile. I can get to the others by clicking/tabbing.
                                Thanks

Comment

Working...
                                X