Climate change: Electrical industry's 'dirty secret' boosts warming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Climate change: Electrical industry's 'dirty secret' boosts warming

In the "I did not know this" category (not sure whether this should be here or in the Engineering area)-

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-49567197
    "It's the most powerful greenhouse gas known to humanity, and emissions have risen rapidly in recent years, the BBC has learned.

Sulphur hexafluoride, or SF6, is widely used in the electrical industry to prevent short circuits and accidents.

But leaks of the little-known gas in the UK and the rest of the EU in 2017 were the equivalent of putting an extra 1.3 million cars on the road."

Worth reading.

Originally posted by zbang View Post
    In the "I did not know this" category (not sure whether this should be here or in the Engineering area)-

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-49567197
    "It's the most powerful greenhouse gas known to humanity, and emissions have risen rapidly in recent years, the BBC has learned.

Sulphur hexafluoride, or SF6, is widely used in the electrical industry to prevent short circuits and accidents.

But leaks of the little-known gas in the UK and the rest of the EU in 2017 were the equivalent of putting an extra 1.3 million cars on the road."

Worth reading.
    It isn't little known here - at least not in the electrical engineering field.

Comment

I always have the trouble of not knowing what is the right thing to say at the right time, and then effortlessly like falling downhill.

So I have to learn it from guys like this who do it almost on autopilot.

"Louis Shaffer, electrical business manager at Eaton, said: "The newer gear has very low leak rates but the key question is do you have newer gear?"
      Lasciate ogne speranza, voi ch'intrate

Comment

Certainly toxic and if I accept at face value that it traps UV rays, technically a greenhouse gas. But it's denser than air, so it sinks and collects in low places, no? So you would have a "greenhouse effect" in a low depression near where it leaked, but causing global warming?

In reading up on this however, I was shocked to read that we (the world) are using upward of 10,000 metric tons of it per year, with electrical equipment consuming 70% of that. That's a LOT of GIS!
        __________________________________________________ ____________________________
        Many people are shocked when they discover I am not a good electrician...

I'm in California, ergo I am still stuck on the 2014 NEC... We'll get around to the 2017 code in around 2021.

Comment

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=u19QfJWI1oQ

you know this isn’t the first time this has been done. Are they purposely adding to the problem? What is done with it when they get done playing?

it costs us a small fortune to have the gas reclaimed and disposal rates for interrupters and other equipment. We have bottles there that we get with new equipment when it’s installed. We keep the bottle close(ish) to the equipment. I have one bottle that’s been with a breaker for 20+ years. Never added any yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Jraef View Post
            Certainly toxic and if I accept at face value that it traps UV rays, technically a greenhouse gas. But it's denser than air, so it sinks and collects in low places, no? So you would have a "greenhouse effect" in a low depression near where it leaked, but causing global warming?

In reading up on this however, I was shocked to read that we (the world) are using upward of 10,000 metric tons of it per year, with electrical equipment consuming 70% of that. That's a LOT of GIS!

Not toxic to humans though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u19QfJWI1oQ
            Our comedian shamelessly joked about a blackout. Talk about dark humor.

Comment

Originally posted by mbrooke View Post

Not toxic to humans though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u19QfJWI1oQ
              Certainly not. SF6 is the "Teflon" of gasses for inertness. The military uses it to simulate gas attacks in subway systems because the atmospheric concentration is so low (9 ppt, that's "t" for trillion), that it's easy to detect. Oh, and for all the chicken little's out there, the current level is the same as adding 0.2 ppm of CO2 to the atmosphere, ONCE. The current rate of increase for CO2 is about 2.0 ppm annually. Y'all can cancel the panic attack.

Comment

Originally posted by gadfly56 View Post

Certainly not. SF6 is the "Teflon" of gasses for inertness. The military uses it to simulate gas attacks in subway systems because the atmospheric concentration is so low (9 ppt, that's "t" for trillion), that it's easy to detect. Oh, and for all the chicken little's out there, the current level is the same as adding 0.2 ppm of CO2 to the atmosphere, ONCE. The current rate of increase for CO2 is about 2.0 ppm annually. Y'all can cancel the panic attack.
                There are Chicken Littles and there are Ostriches. The truth is somewhere in the middle.

Comment

Working...
                X