No announcement yet.

Place names

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't have a place name to contribute, but I have driven on "Shades of Death Road" in New Jersey.

Comment

Hmm,
      Accident, Romancoke, Port Tobacco, Boring, Savage (MD USA)
      Holy City (CA USA)

At least to the American ear, the UK has more than it's share-
      Leighton Buzzard (Beds) Stayed there once, just for the name
      Lower, (& Upper) Vobster, Chew Magna, Pucklechurch (all Somerset, I think)
      Farleigh Wallop (Hants?)
      Queen (& West) Camel (Dorset?)

etc

Comment

Originally posted by gadfly56 View Post
        I don't have a place name to contribute, but I have driven on "Shades of Death Road" in New Jersey.
        Ah! Warren County-- the local Boy Scout district had a Freeze-O-Ree there one year when I was growing up. It was a chilly night!

Comment

Embarrass, Wisconsin
          Weyauwega, Wisconsin
          Institute, Wisconsin
          Oconomowoc, Wisconsin
          Rural, Wisconsin

And of course.....Dairyland, Wisconsin

Comment

Originally posted by Besoeker3 View Post

Australia has a place with the rude equivalent of copulating, a word that would be censored here.

Unless there are two of them, it's in Austria.

Comment

Somewhere crossing mid America (I was a child), the highway went down a long straight stretch into a ravine, with multiple signs warning of high winds.
              At the bottom of the ravine was a sign naming it "Trailer House Gulch."

Note: only 4 seconds to post.

Comment

When I was a kid my family would motor up to Memphis to visit my mom's family every summer. A small town we passed on the way was Hushpuckena, Mississippi.

There's a street here in Austin named "The Living End".

Comment

Originally posted by packersparky View Post
                  Embarrass, Wisconsin
                  Weyauwega, Wisconsin
                  Institute, Wisconsin
                  Oconomowoc, Wisconsin
                  Rural, Wisconsin

And of course.....Dairyland, Wisconsin
                  There's also an Embarass, Minnesota, and I've been there quite a few times to tour the nearby Soudan Mine.
                  It gets quite cold up there, so you don't want to leave anything bare in the winter:

http://www.embarrass.org/weather.html

Comment

There is a Climax in Oregon, I had a customer there named Climax Machine Tool that makes portable machining systems for working on tractors and such. At trade shows, they gave away buttons that said "Have you had your Climax today?" Very popular buttons.

Besides Weed, CA, there is also a Skyhigh, CA. They are not close to each other however. The sign for Skyhigh, CA says that the elevation is 426 rods (7041 feet / 2146 m). I have no idea why they show it in rods, maybe they were high at the time they decided what yo put on the sign...

There is a town in SoCal called 'Earp", named for Wyatt Earp who once lived there. Whenever I have driven through with family, it created a lot of jokes about how, if you lived there, having to apologize after having to tell someone the name of your town.

Way out in the dust bowl of California, west of Bakersfield, is a little town called Valley Acres, population of around 300 people (last time I went through). The name isn't unusual, but about 1/4 mile down the same highway from the center of town was a City Limit sign for another small town of about 280 people, called "East Valley Acres". I always wanted to know the story behind those 280 people that led to them saying "Screw you guys, we're starting our OWN town and giving it a different name!"
                    Last edited by Jraef; 09-20-19, 07:26 PM.
                    __________________________________________________ ____________________________
                    Many people are shocked when they discover I am not a good electrician...

I'm in California, ergo I am still stuck on the 2014 NEC... We'll get around to the 2017 code in around 2021.

Comment

Originally posted by zbang View Post
                      Hmm,
                      Accident, Romancoke, Port Tobacco, Boring, Savage (MD USA)
                      Holy City (CA USA)

At least to the American ear, the UK has more than it's share-
                      Leighton Buzzard (Beds) Stayed there once, just for the name
                      Lower, (& Upper) Vobster, Chew Magna, Pucklechurch (all Somerset, I think)
                      Farleigh Wallop (Hants?)
                      Queen (& West) Camel (Dorset?)

etc

A friend of mine grew up in Boring, OR. He said it was aptly named.

Holy City had been abandoned and for sale for a decade or more until it was bought by a billionaire in 2016. There is a really interesting story behind that place, it was the site of a religious cult (go figure) based on White Supremacy and the people there were Nazi sympathizers during WWII (and beyond apparently). When the cult leader died, the cult dissipated. The billionaire who bought it? One of the main financial backers of the "Church" of Scientology.
                      __________________________________________________ ____________________________
                      Many people are shocked when they discover I am not a good electrician...

I'm in California, ergo I am still stuck on the 2014 NEC... We'll get around to the 2017 code in around 2021.

Comment

I know it's already been posted it, but when I was a kid I thought Truth or Consequences, New Mexico sounded like the most amazing place that could possibly exist.
                        Deserve's got nothin' to do with it.

Comment

Originally posted by ptonsparky View Post
                          Pennsylvania has:
                          Blue Ball
                          Bird In Hand
                          Intercourse
                          Yep, I remember these. Used to live in that area years ago.

Comment

There's a Green Lady Cemetery in the next town from where I grew up. You can always find people hanging around there at night on Halloween. Sounds like fun but I did not want to see the green lady.

http://www.damnedct.com/seventh-day-...ery-burlington
                            Lasciate ogne speranza, voi ch'intrate

Comment

Germany has a surprising number of streets all named "Einbahnstraße". Makes it difficult to find your way back to the hotel if you jotted down its street address.
                              (Ich verstehe Deutsch mit riesengroße Studienkämpf)

Comment

Originally posted by drcampbell View Post
                                Germany has a surprising number of streets all named "Einbahnstraße". Makes it difficult to find your way back to the hotel if you jotted down its street address.
                                (Ich verstehe Deutsch mit riesengroße Studienkämpf)
                                Traveling this week and it seems every few miles we came across “Falling Rock’ road.
                                Tom
                                TBLO

Comment

Working...
                                X