• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hv&Lv View Post

Hmmm...
    don't quite know how to take that...
    So iPhone users are all dummies???
    No, but that's not what I said.

Apple wants the UI to be so simple that anyone can use it, including dummies so they lock it down. My wife is an iPhone fan-girl and she's certainly no dummy.
    Last edited by infinity; 10-19-19, 01:39 PM.
    Rob

All responses based on the 2017 NEC unless otherwise noted

Comment

Never paid more than $250 for a phone and in that bracket Android is the only choice. I use a Moto E4 Plus and wife has a Moto G6 Play. Usually keep a phone for 2-3 years. I have used Motorola phones for years and are comfortable with them. Being an old fart I hate to try new things.

Sent from my RCT6213W22 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by ggunn View Post

I find that insulting and IMO you as a moderator should not be saying such blsht. I have been using Apple products since 1984 and I assure you I am neither a dummy nor am I brainwashed. Criticize the gear for what it does or does not do, but when you say the people who use it are somehow defective you have crossed a line.
        It was a joke. It's the weekend, lighten up and enjoy things.
        Last edited by ActionDave; 10-19-19, 02:13 PM.
        If Billy Idol is on your playlist go reevaluate your life.

Comment

Originally posted by infinity View Post

Apple wants the UI to be so simple that anyone can use it, including dummies so they lock it down. My wife is an iPhone fan-girl and she's certainly no dummy.
          For the record, I took it for what it was... lighthearted humor.

no offense taken.

I was sort of starting a joke... didn’t know it would offend others.
          my phone doesn’t define me....

Comment

Originally posted by ActionDave View Post

It was a joke. It's the weekend, lighten up and enjoy things.
            You know, with the lack of inflection in the printed word and in the absence of some sort of humor indicator, I have no way of knowing that. There is a lot of genuine iHate out there and I have seen some of it on this forum; some of the participants in this thread did not seem to be kidding. In that context I didn't take what you said to be all that funny.

Comment

You know, with the lack of inflection in the printed word and in the absence of some sort of humor indicator, I have no way of knowing that. There is a lot of genuine iHate out there and I have seen some of it on this forum; some of the participants in this thread did not seem to be kidding. In that context I didn't take what you said to be all that funny.
              I’ve often tried to figure out how to get a sarcasm emoji, or even a smart**s one..
              thats why a lot of things I write I have to edit after I read it...

Comment

Fair enough.
                If Billy Idol is on your playlist go reevaluate your life.

Comment

I bought a MOTO with the long life battery pack because it fit in the pliers pocket of my work jeans. I was used to the Android system but the pocket fit was the big sell. In the next few days I figured out I only have a couple pairs of jeans with that size of pocket. So much for hi tech planning.
                  Tom
                  TBLO

Comment

I refuse to deal with anything Google, have a iPhone but it is not the latest model & happy with it as do not have to get the latest & greatest.

Comment

Originally posted by ptonsparky View Post
                      I bought a MOTO with the long life battery pack because it fit in the pliers pocket of my work jeans. I was used to the Android system but the pocket fit was the big sell. In the next few days I figured out I only have a couple pairs of jeans with that size of pocket. So much for hi tech planning.
                      That’s the exact reason I like my company phone. It fits in the pocket perfectly.
                      if it gets bigger when they replace it, I will not be happy about it. I don’t like the belt clips.

Comment

Originally posted by Fulthrotl View Post
                        i am wondering, if by some fluke of nature, the latest and greatest iphone will make a better phone call than the version 10. it would be nice..
                        iOS software updates aren’t helping dropped calls, unique to iPhone X (10).

When iOS updates & fat-ware app's slowed my iPhone 6 to a crawl, the trade in became unavoidable. Ended up with iPhone XS, just missing iPhone-X by a hair.

What kills me is losing the screen button with the newer model iPhones, which won’t activate upside down, when top & bottom feels identical, especially in the dark.

Nevertheless, constant reports of Android's nefarious background leaks; draining batteries, while transmitting user data & location, make security issues seem intractable. Especially, since security updates with Android OS are unreliable with each mobile carrier’s proprietary-implementation schedule of the Android OS.

iOS was designed to restrict apps from doing bad things, at the expense of customization, which Android excels. Further, Apple rarely discloses security breaches, so few are published. Ignorance is bliss with iPhone users not aware of most security breaches. Apple simply instructs users to update patches immediately, or set auto update.

One breach on my iPhone 6 came thru the sim card, via carrier network pop ups. During any account log in the pop up constantly asked me to re-enter passwords. Without public notice from Apple, or independent security groups reporting it, the carrier network was clueless, and without knowing better, each re-enter password pop up would have recorded every iteration of my passwords needed to access my bank accounts and take over my ID.

Left the pop up empty for my own protection. Eventually found, the only permanent security fix was to log out entirely of iCloud. This effectively deleted all contacts, calendar events, notes, browser bookmarks, custom settings, and effectively crippled my business.

It took several days with Apple support before my data could be restored, without being connected to iCloud. .However, iCloud log in remains unavoidable when trying to update anything like apps, purchases, backups, or use the Find-My-Phone feature.

Delayed security updates, or staying logged off the cloud, may buy some time to examine damage reports, which OS updates may cause older phones. However, being vulnerable without auto updates can invite identity theft, or ransom-ware attacks without careful habits online.

As all Android users should be aware, there is constant risk with 3rd party apps, browser security settings, and suspicious emails not directly sent to spam before opening.
                        Last edited by ramsy; 10-20-19, 01:50 AM.
                        Roger Ramjet NoFixNoPay

Comment

Originally posted by brantmacga View Post
                          I’m not buying it; still using my 8.

I keep going back and forth about buying a refurb 10 because Apple will give me $220 for my 8; I still can’t wrap my head around spending over $1k for a phone.

I’m going to try and ride this 8 out for one more year and then maybe I’ll feel like I got my money’s worth from it.

There are rumors of a new SE coming soon. I had the first one and that was my favorite iPhone until I broke it beyond repair. If they do release a new SE I’ll probably buy it immediately.
                          i just unsaddled a 10. i had 4 of them. you've been warned.
                          ~New signature under construction.~
                          ~~~~Please excuse the mess.~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by infinity View Post

well, from the prarie fires of hacks and rootkits i've seen for anderoid
                            stuff over the years, that concerns me somewhat.

i've not found anything i needed more functionality for in a phone,
                            so i'm not gonna squabble much about it. i did spend a weekend
                            using the thing, and i have no complaints. i had all the fun i needed
                            hacking hardware on windows computers.

of interest was phone call quality. i was in the jeep, with wind and
                            road noise appropriate for a jeep at 70 mph, and the person on
                            the other end said they couldn't tell i was in a vehicle, let alone a
                            noisy one. noise cancellation is better than the $400 bose headphones.

i spend part of the weekend in palm springs, at my mother in laws 95th
                            birthday. lotta 4k video, lot of photos. camera and video are really good.
                            i shot about 10 minutes of video, and wanted to fiddle with the HDR settings
                            on the thing, so my wife picked the tint overlay she wanted, and i edited
                            the thing in the phone, took about two minutes to parse a large file.

the thing is stupid fast. everything works so far. i'm gonna return the iphone X,
                            as they are giving me a $400 buyback for it, and it's a refurb that is two months
                            old. i don't want to have it when applecare runs out. if it tanks i will have to eat it.

battery life appears excellent. after a ton of use saturday, including 3 hours as
                            a wifi hub, i had 70% battery left.

~New signature under construction.~
                            ~~~~Please excuse the mess.~~~~

Comment

I think some of the iphone hate is the same as the microsoft hate. When a company has the market share people get annoyed especially when they charge alot more than others charge. I think Iphones are great but I would not buy one because of the cost. My wife has one- got it used and I inherited an android.
                              They say I shot a man named Gray and took his wife to Italy
                              She inherited a million bucks and when she died it came to me
                              I can't help it if I'm lucky

Comment

Originally posted by Dennis Alwon View Post
                                I think some of the iphone hate is the same as the microsoft hate. When a company has the market share people get annoyed especially when they charge alot more than others charge.
                                This!

My first “smart” phone was issued by my company. A BlackBerry Torch. It would stop working at least once per day. The response from support was always “pull the battery and reboot”. After about a year this nonsense, the company switched to Apple. Back then, Android was just getting started - too new to get serious consideration from a corporation. So I gained a familiarity with Apple and now that I’m on my own, I’ve stuck with them. I Currently have a 7 Plus with no plans to upgrade until it dies.

I consider my device a handheld computer that also happens to function as a phone. I estimate 25% of my use is phone, maybe less.

I can understand those who are frustrated when they would have to spend close to a grand to buy an Apple device when all they need is a phone!

Comment

Working...
                                X