Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who designed this so called Ground Screw and Why?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who designed this so called Ground Screw and Why?

What exactly is this kind of screw supposed to be good for?
    The top edges of the HEX are rolled so as to create something that approaches no hex at all. Ridiculous.
    The hex measures about 304" or 7.7mm take your pick. A 5/16" nut driver does not work well and will slip. Exactly what kind of ultra specialized tool is one to use other than Phillips screwdriver? The metal is also if inferior " soft " stock. This type of screw was once better, but has gone way down hill. Whatever the logic for it, its an Engineering blunder. The real surface area of the HEX is almost nonexistent and then exactly what kind of tool is specified? Why is this being done?
    Attached Files
    Microwave Poison will be seen to be a Trillion times worse than Asbestos.

Probably originally designed to be installed by a machine.

Comment

They work fine...
      They say I shot a man named Gray and took his wife to Italy
      She inherited a million bucks and when she died it came to me
      I can't help it if I'm lucky

Comment

Agreed. Bad design. But I guess I'm just jaded and used to things getting cheaper and useful details ignored. I use a Phillips tip and it'll just have to be good enough, even though the hex would have been much more useful, handy, and secure, had they bothered to make it usable.

Comment

Don't your complaints deal with 1 manufacturer's attempt at a grounding screw? Maybe the ones with the attached green lead are better. Maybe...

Comment

Dennis, I do not find them to work anywhere " near " fine. MAC702 is on the same page. Not so long ago they did not have that silly chamfer on the crown. You could throw one into a Mag nutdriver and go through a ring terminal and land it easily and securely. Whatever this downgrade is, its a colossal joke and I find them fully unacceptable, useless, and a time waster.
            In short they suck.
            Microwave Poison will be seen to be a Trillion times worse than Asbestos.

Comment

Quit buying them then. Find others that are better.

Comment

Well, 5/16" = 7.9375 mm
                You measure at 7.7 mm
                You need a 39/128" socket.

What's wrong with using a P2 bit?
                Maybe you need a flat-blade for greater torque.
                Perhaps someone makes an S2 grounding screw.
                Master Electrician
                Electrical Contractor
                Richmond, VA

Comment

Originally posted by LarryFine View Post
                  Well, 5/16" = 7.9375 mm
                  You measure at 7.7 mm
                  You need a 39/128" socket.

What's wrong with using a P2 bit?
                  Maybe you need a flat-blade for greater torque.
                  Perhaps someone makes an S2 grounding screw.
                  Perhaps the Happy Sun Fortune Cookie and Ground Screw Company that makes them also has a tool for them.

-Hal

Comment

What brand screw is that? I just went to the basement and the screws we have work fine. I don't really notice much rounding and they work fine with a nut driver. They are metallics JGSH 22 31lVAxm44YL.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Dennis Alwon View Post
                      What brand screw is that? I just went to the basement and the screws we have work fine. I don't really notice much rounding and they work fine with a nut driver. They are metallics JGSH 22 31lVAxm44YL.jpg
                      The ones pictured there work even better with a #2 Robertson (square).

Comment

How are the ones pictured in my post different from the others. The photo is not very good in the op's post

Comment

Originally posted by retirede View Post

The ones pictured there work even better with a #2 Robertson (square).
                          I like square drive, too.
                          Master Electrician
                          Electrical Contractor
                          Richmond, VA

Comment

Hex works fine in the ones I posted. I think I prefer the hex

Comment

Originally posted by Dennis Alwon View Post
                              Hex works fine in the ones I posted. I think I prefer the hex
                              I think a lot of guys carry the square in their tool pouch because they fit most all electrical devices - receptacles, switches, breakers, etc. They may not have the nut driver close at hand.

Comment

Working...
                              X