I expected better from This Old House

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I expected better from This Old House

The topic of crap electrical how-to on Youtube has been done to death here, but I really expected better from This Old House. This popped up in my Youtube suggestions, and I decided to watch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0v2KQ_7kmg

If the guy was going to sleeve the Romex practically the whole path anyway, why didn't he just finish the conduit path and pull individual conductors? To say nothing of the Romex in a damp location code violation.

I do see the video is a few years old, and I've noticed they've pretty much stopped offering advice regarding anything electrical recently. Maybe they figure that most of their viewers are as likely to burn down their houses as properly add a receptacle... the liability must be too great.

SceneryDriver

Originally posted by SceneryDriver View Post
    ... I really expected better from This Old House....
    Seriously?

Comment

I agree with the nm cable being used as a violation. The interesting thing is seeing a garage with a crawl space. You don't see that very often. Also the conduit under the house seemed pretty large.

I suspect the pvc stopped where the crawl space of the house begins..
      They say I shot a man named Gray and took his wife to Italy
      She inherited a million bucks and when she died it came to me
      I can't help it if I'm lucky

Comment

I think he just used the Carflex as a sleeve through the wall.
        [COLOR=navy]If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time![/COLOR]

Comment

No, he brought it out and up through the deck into the bottom of a Bell box on the exterior wall. Not even seeing a transition fitting where it enters the Carflex.

-Hal

Comment

Originally posted by hbiss View Post
            No, he brought it out and up through the deck into the bottom of a Bell box on the exterior wall. Not even seeing a transition fitting where it enters the Carflex.

-Hal
            You don't need one if it is sleeved. The connector is in the box but the wire is sleeved from the crawl space.

Comment

Originally posted by Dennis Alwon View Post
              I agree with the nm cable being used as a violation. The interesting thing is seeing a garage with a crawl space. You don't see that very often. Also the conduit under the house seemed pretty large.

I suspect the pvc stopped where the crawl space of the house begins..
              When I watched the video (provided by the link) there was a guy adding a receptacle to a deck. The only mistake I noticed was that he used romex in a wet location. It's not really a big deal, it wouldn't pass an inspection but really wouldn't hurt anything.

I actually think the link is leading to different videos as I didn't see a garage.
              The 95% of people that you can't trust give the other 5% a bad name.

Comment

Originally posted by SceneryDriver View Post
                I really expected better from This Old House.
                I have not watched "This Old House" in many years but they use only local licensed electricians so what more would you ask of them? These contractors often even give the name of their electrical company. I have noticed bigger mistakes from some of the larger service contractors.

The 95% of people that you can't trust give the other 5% a bad name.

Comment

Originally posted by growler View Post
                  .......... I didn't see a garage.
                  There is a garage door. The track and weatherstrip are easily visible.

Comment

Originally posted by 480sparky View Post

There is a garage door. The track and weatherstrip are easily visible.
                    And if you listen, they mention running from the deck to the panel and say that the panel is in the garage.
                    [COLOR=navy]If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time![/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by Little Bill View Post

And if you listen, they mention running from the deck to the panel and say that the panel is in the garage.
                      And it's like most people's garages.... so full of junk there's no room for cars.

Comment

Originally posted by 480sparky View Post

And it's like most people's garages.... so full of junk there's no room for cars.
                        Whoa! Whoa! What are you calling "junk?"

I never had any intention of parking in my car in that valuable space!

Comment

Originally posted by Dennis Alwon View Post

You don't need one if it is sleeved. The connector is in the box but the wire is sleeved from the crawl space.
                          I didn't see an NM connector at the Bell box. Only connector I saw was the flex connector to 1/2" threaded KO on the bottom of the box. You could pull up on that Romex at the box end and pull it from inside the house. For it to be sleeved the flex would have to end below the box with an NM connector (preferably WP compression) at the bottom of the box. If he would have used UF it would have been compliant. But I'm sure he didn't want to see the open end of the flex. So the other compliant way would be to transition to THHN with a box at the beginning of the flex run in the crawlspace.

-Hal

Comment

Originally posted by hbiss View Post

I didn't see an NM connector at the Bell box. Only connector I saw was the flex connector to 1/2" threaded KO on the bottom of the box. You could pull up on that Romex at the box end and pull it from inside the house. For it to be sleeved the flex would have to end below the box with an NM connector (preferably WP compression) at the bottom of the box. If he would have used UF it would have been compliant. But I'm sure he didn't want to see the open end of the flex. So the other compliant way would be to transition to THHN with a box at the beginning of the flex run in the crawlspace.

-Hal
                            It is sleeved there does not need to be a nm connector just a staple within 12" where it exits the carflex on the other end.

334.15(C) In Unfinished Basements and Crawl Spaces. Where cable
                            is run at angles with joists in unfinished basements and crawl
                            spaces, it shall be permissible to secure cables not smaller than
                            two 6 AWG or three 8 AWG conductors directly to the lower
                            edges of the joists. Smaller cables shall be run either through
                            bored holes in joists or on running boards. Nonmetallicsheathed
                            cable installed on the wall of an unfinished basement
                            shall be permitted to be installed in a listed conduit or tubing
                            or shall be protected in accordance with 300.4. Conduit or
                            tubing shall be provided with a suitable insulating bushing or
                            adapter at the point the cable enters the raceway. The sheath of
                            the nonmetallic-sheathed cable shall extend through the
                            conduit or tubing and into the outlet or device box not less
                            than 6 mm (1∕4 in.). The cable shall be secured within 300 mm
                            (12 in.) of the point where the cable enters the conduit or
                            tubing
                            . Metal conduit, tubing, and metal outlet boxes shall be
                            connected to an equipment grounding conductor complying
                            with the provisions of 250.86 and 250.148.

Comment

The cable shall be secured within 300 mm
                              (12 in.) of the point where the cable enters the conduit or
                              tubing

Ok, I interpret that to mean just what it says. Conduit ends within 12" of the box and is secured with a suitable connector at the box. Likewise, at the other end cable must be stapled within 12" of where it comes out of the conduit. This is the way I have always sleeved a cable down a wall into a box.

"Enter" can work both ways.

Also, where is the common practice of using a transition fitting (EMT to NM) where the cable enters or exits (depending on where you are standing) addressed?

-Hal

Comment

Working...
                              X