It Is True- A Porsche Can Fly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by drcampbell View Post
    Porsche built an airplane engine -- the Porsche-Flugmotor -- for a while.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porsche_PFM_3200
    And farm tractors...

Comment

Originally posted by LarryFine View Post
      I know I exude an aura of sophistication in the forum
      you do. exude away, your exudiness......

all motorcyclists exude. most of us just try not to exude the insides to the outsides,
      on the side of the road.

celebrating a mid life crisis, i bought an '01 hayabusa, and as i'm stupid this way,
      and had a friend who worked for US suzuki at the time, he "found" some suzuki
      R&D cams, and a mapped ignition controller for them on a shelf somewhere,
      and we exchanged them, to see if they were made properly.

it doesn't idle as smoothly as stock, but it makes up for it on the other end.

like that was needed. for those who don't ride motorcycles, a large displacement
      sport bike accelerates pretty much unlike anything else. the tesla, on "ludicrous"
      mode, will beat most anything off the line, but a hayabusa, stock, you can snick
      it into second gear after launching, and smoothly roll on the throttle to full open,
      so that it hooks up without spinning the rear wheel, and it will try to crawl out from
      between your legs, the front wheel will come up gently, and if from when you roll
      it on, you count "one thousand, two thousand, three...." that is when the front
      wheel comes up gently, and you have just passed 100 mph, in second gear, on
      the back wheel, and there are four gears ahead of you, and a top speed of 205ish,
      without the 182 mph speed limiter built into the stock ignition.

fastest i've ever ridden it was on old woman springs road, in the mojave desert,
      for bragging rights. pre ran it twice, slowly, looking for FOD, and then there is a
      spot where you can't be timed due to geography, a 4 mile straight stretch bracketed
      by hills. it went 186, according to the GPS, and there was more, but not for me.

realistically, the motorcycle is too fast for anyone with approved credit to purchase
      and operate it. i've been operating motorcycles since age 10 or so, and it's too tempting
      for me, and i've got an awful lot of miles and experience on them.

the fastest i've ever gone on a motorcycle was in the late 1970's, on a 1000 cc blown
      alcohol salt flats bike, on edwards dry lake, i made a one way pass, getting to the
      bottom of fifth gear, at 195. supposedly it was good for 235. i'll never know, and i didn't
      make a return trip to get an official speed record. that was fast enough for me.

i still have three bikes. i don't ride any more. i don't have the reflexes and finer balance
      controls for good offroad usage, and the way people drive around here in the last
      fifteen years, i don't have a death wish, but i've never not had motorcycles, and am
      loathe to sell them. they are addictive.

so, i survived life choices to this point, and am now a gray haired man in the "get off my lawn"
      portion of life, and i'm left with a huge level of gratitude for making it this far, largely unscathed.

~New signature under construction.~
      ~~~~Please excuse the mess.~~~~

Comment

I marvel as I travel in my truck or van, at the speed dictated by other traffic (ie somewhat above the posted limits), at the people who believe that a truck or van simply can't be going fast enough!

Comment

In a related story...

A guy I used to work with went in for a hearing test. The audiologist looked at the readout and said to him, "I see you ride a motorcycle." Looking back at the chart, she added, "A Harley Davidson, by the look of it." She was correct on both counts.

Comment

Originally posted by PaulMmn View Post
            I marvel as I travel in my truck or van, at the speed dictated by other traffic (ie somewhat above the posted limits), at the people who believe that a truck or van simply can't be going fast enough!
            George Carlin had a routine about that. Distilled down, his attitude was that people driving slower than him were idiots and people who were driving faster than him were maniacs.

Comment

Originally posted by ggunn View Post

George Carlin had a routine about that. Distilled down, his attitude was that people driving slower than him were idiots and people who were driving faster than him were maniacs.
              Yer point?
              Master Electrician
              Electrical Contractor
              Richmond, VA

Comment

Originally posted by LarryFine View Post

Yer point?
                Are you an idiot or a maniac?

Live it or live with it!
                Last edited by ggunn; 11-14-19, 11:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ggunn View Post

Are you an idiot or a maniac?

Live it or live with it!
                  I'm saying that I agree with the statement, but I admit I see more idiots than maniacs.
                  Master Electrician
                  Electrical Contractor
                  Richmond, VA

Comment

This reminds me of a time when I was driving with one of my nephews when he was quite young. There wasn't much traffic, but after we came up behind a car my nephew told me that there was an idiot in the car ahead of us. I asked him why he thought so but he didn't give me a clear answer. After driving a while it became apparent that he thought anyone who was driving right in front of us must be an idiot. When talking to my sister later in the day she happened to mention how bad some drivers out there were, and that she had been cut off that morning and had to brake very suddenly to avoid an accident. I asked if her son was along with her during that ride, and after she said yes it suddenly became clear how my nephew had acquired some new vocabulary. At least "idiot" was relatively innocuous compared to some other words he could have picked up .

Comment

Originally posted by synchro View Post
                      At least "idiot" was relatively innocuous compared to some other words he could have picked up .
                      And that reminds me of a Robin Williams stand-up routine about fatherhood, the relevant part starting at 9:00, but it's all great.

Warning: Contains f-bombs. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykq8IkiCgFw

T
                      Master Electrician
                      Electrical Contractor
                      Richmond, VA

Comment

Originally posted by Dennis Alwon View Post
                        . Sometimes I wonder how we all made it this far in life. .
                        I think it's just a matter of "Luck". A few years ago I went to look at a job where a man had been sitting in his recliner watching TV when a car came crashing through his house and killed him. Just goes to show that sitting at home and watching TV isn't completely safe. Another guy I knew had a small plane crash into his apartment and he was lucky because he wasn't home ( he was in the parking area just a matter of seconds from being in the apartment).
                        The 95% of people that you can't trust give the other 5% a bad name.

Comment

Bad luck? How about minding your own business, taking a shower in the comfort & privacy of your own home, and getting hit & killed by a train?
                          https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Be...train_disaster

Comment

In spite of the plethora of kids on crotch rockets, we lose more middle aged guys on big bikes around here.

The most common narratives are “hit a patch of loose gravel”, “failed to negotiate a curve”, and “struck an animal in the road” (usually a deer).

These middle aged guys are mostly not experienced riders whose first bike is a big one - not alway a good combination.

Comment

Then there was a biker who skidded to a stop on a patch of loose gravel and ended up with a road-rash on his face. The biker's comment: "Well, guess I'll have to grow a beard."

Comment

Working...
                              X