Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jobsite Radio

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Jobsite Radio

    I've had a DeWalt jobsite radio for several years, but have found the darn thing to be way too loud, even on the minimum setting. My hearing, likely hereditary but maybe with a little help from Uncle Sam, is horrible. That said, I decided to dissect the thing to see if there was any way to modify the volume pot. It is mounted to an 8 pin PCB. L-In, R-in, Gnd(x2), Vdd, on/off, L-Out, R-Out. I was thinking of placing a 1K resistor in series with L-Out, R-Out pins. Hoping one of the radio/electronics minded members can shed some light. Volume can be adjusted down when using an aux input, such as an iPod, but the radio function is just too loud for the work shop, or even outdoors. Thanks

    #2
    Ummm, with any volume control I've ever seen fully CCW is zero volume. It should be infinitely variable up to full as you turn it CW. So, are you sure this is a pot and not some kind of encoder that controls the volume via a chip on the board? Vdd kind of makes me think that's so. And if that's true inserting resistors won't help. Matter of fact I'm wondering if it's even functioning correctly since it doesn't go to zero volume.

    -Hal

    Comment


      #3
      The pot/switch turns the unit on, and has a minimum volume that is too loud. The pot is mounted to a PCB with the pinouts as I described. I wanted to see if I could modify the range of the pot to control the volume.

      Comment


        #4
        Minimum volume should be no volume! You don't need to modify it, you need to find the problem with it.

        If it really is a pot, when in the full CCW position, the wipers (center terminals) should be at the grounded ends (right side when viewed from the front shaft end). You can check that with a ohm meter. Center terminals to ground with the pot turned all the way down. Should be zero ohms.

        -Hal

        Comment


          #5
          Many times a pot will reduce volume by shorting signal to ground; if that is what you have, adding series resistance will make things worse.

          Comment


            #6
            Does the pot and switch look like the one on ebay shown below? If so, it might be worthwhile to get the replacement part.

            https://www.ebay.com/p/12019177730?i...AaAshwEALw_wcB

            Comment


              #7
              Yes Synchro, that's a picture of it. I may try the replacement for $20. I believe the unit has functioned this way from day one, and since it's supposed to be a jobsite radio, thought maybe it was designed this way.

              Comment


                #8
                I looked up that volume control before but since it seems that there are many different models of that radio I wasn't sure. But if that's the one, it wouldn't hurt to test it first. Disconnect the connector, then on the pc board on top as shown in the picture, measure the resistance from the right terminal to the center terminal with the pot turned fully CCW. Do that for the front section and the rear section. Those are the ones with the three pins in front of the board. Should be zero ohms. For giggles, keep your test leads connected and rotate the pot to see the resistance increase all the way to the CW stop. Repeat that with the rear pot.

                https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/4qEAA...5v/s-l1600.jpg

                If that seems to be operating properly likely you have another problem and I would check that out first before ordering a new volume control. I would suspect that the ground is not connected. Sounds like something screwed up at the factory. Follow that wire from the Gnd on that board to the connector and check that pin on the main board to see that it's going to ground. Thing is, you may not know where ground is on that board unless you have some experience working with this stuff.

                -Hal

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by USMC1302 View Post
                  The pot/switch turns the unit on, and has a minimum volume that is too loud. The pot is mounted to a PCB with the pinouts as I described. I wanted to see if I could modify the range of the pot to control the volume.
                  Sounds like the pot/switch maybe was defective from day 1? Should have had the ability to reduce volume to nothing/very near nothing.
                  I live for today, I'm just a day behind.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    But the fact that there are two sections ganged (it's stereo) leads me to believe that it might not be the control itself. It would be highly unlikely that both pots had the same problem. It still could be the little PC board with the pots and switch on it or the wiring and connector. That would be easy enough to check with only an ohm meter and also easy enough to fix. But my suspicion is still that the ground is missing to the control which would cause the condition noted. I don't think there is anything wrong with that control.

                    -Hal

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Thanks Hbiss, I did a bit of testing when I had the control out. I was able to follow the traces on the PCB, and they actually had labels. I didn't log all the results, but the pot did not go to zero in the CCW from any pin to ground. I believe the minimum reading was in the 3.5k range. I'm sure I tested both halves of the control as well. It wasn't too difficult to take apart, so I'll probably have another go at it.

                      Comment


                        #12


                        -Hal

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X