Transformer Grounding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Transformer Grounding

This is actually embarrassing that I'm asking this, but I can't seem to find the right clauses to back it up... Major brain fart day!

At an industrial site, we have a 600V, 3ph, 3w outdoor panel feeding over to a little temporary 600-120/208V transformer... there's a buried ground electrode around the 600V panel, but nothing at the temporary transformer location. We are running Teck cable (w/ bond wire) from the big panel to the little transformer and I can't for the life of me recall if we need to run a separate ground wire from the buried electrode at the panel to the little transformer Xo (as opposed to using the bond wire in the teck cable). I mean, I'm pretty sure we do, but I can't find the right backup info??

Thanks!

I moved this from the Engineering forum to here because it is likely more related to CEC issues.
    __________________________________________________ ____________________________
    Many people are shocked when they discover I am not a good electrician...

I'm in California, ergo I am still stuck on the 2014 NEC... We'll get around to the 2017 code in around 2021.

Comment

Originally posted by Bigjabe View Post
      This is actually embarrassing that I'm asking this, but I can't seem to find the right clauses to back it up... Major brain fart day!

At an industrial site, we have a 600V, 3ph, 3w outdoor panel feeding over to a little temporary 600-120/208V transformer... there's a buried ground electrode around the 600V panel, but nothing at the temporary transformer location. We are running Teck cable (w/ bond wire) from the big panel to the little transformer and I can't for the life of me recall if we need to run a separate ground wire from the buried electrode at the panel to the little transformer Xo (as opposed to using the bond wire in the teck cable). I mean, I'm pretty sure we do, but I can't find the right backup info??

Thanks!
      If the bond wire in the teck feeding the primary of the transformer is large enough to also be the ground for the secondary(#6awg),it can be used as per 2018 code. 10-212(2) and there is a good diagram in appendix B (diagram B 10-11) explaining it.
      Last edited by Eddy_Current; 03-15-19, 09:58 PM.

Comment

Working...
      X