Apprentice Ratio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Apprentice Ratio

Ontario has finally updated its journeymen to apprentice ratio to 1:1.

Does anyone know if this is a job site ratio as well as company wide? Ive contacted the college of trades as well as MOL. Neither could give me a complete answer.

My main reason for asking is, on an example job, we have 2 jmen and 2 apprentices. If 1 jmen calls in sick 1 day, do I need to send 1 of the apprentices home?

Originally posted by controlled View Post
    Ontario has finally updated its journeymen to apprentice ratio to 1:1.

Does anyone know if this is a job site ratio as well as company wide? Ive contacted the college of trades as well as MOL. Neither could give me a complete answer.

My main reason for asking is, on an example job, we have 2 jmen and 2 apprentices. If 1 jmen calls in sick 1 day, do I need to send 1 of the apprentices home?
    i've never seen a situation where that was warranted.
    ~New signature under construction.~
    ~~~~Please excuse the mess.~~~~

Comment

We have a 1:5 ratio. 1:1 would be very expensive. It's not hard to keep five apprentices busy. They get plenty of learning opportunities.

Comment

Originally posted by Coppersmith View Post
        We have a 1:5 ratio. 1:1 would be very expensive. It's not hard to keep five apprentices busy. They get plenty of learning opportunities.
        By 1:5 do you mean 1 jman and 5 apprentices? That would be great.
        We just recently went to 1:1.
        Prior, we were 1:1 for the first 4 apprentices, then you had to have more jmen than apprentices (not sure how many more were needed)

Comment

Originally posted by controlled View Post
          By 1:5 do you mean 1 jman and 5 apprentices? That would be great.
          We just recently went to 1:1.
          Prior, we were 1:1 for the first 4 apprentices, then you had to have more jmen than apprentices (not sure how many more were needed)
          Sounds like you're keeping the j-men fully employed

Comment

Working...
          X