5 Core UL/CSA Mains supply appliance Cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

NB-TQ

Is there such thing as 5 core UL/CSA approved mains supply cable i.e. 3 Phase (Black, Red, Blue) + Neutral (White) + Ground (Green)? We are UK manufacturer supplying to North american market, I am struggling to find mains cable with american colours. Only UL/CSA approved cable,we can source has Orange core instead of Blue, Please help.

Are you looking for something like flexible cord such as SOOW or type W cable?

I've personally never seen 5 conductor with blue, it's always been orange.

Someone else may have.

Worst case, you could custom order it if you really want blue instead of orange.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Is there such thing as 5 core UL/CSA approved mains supply cable i.e. 3 Phase (Black, Red, Blue) + Neutral (White) + Ground (Green)? We are UK manufacturer supplying to North american market, I am struggling to find mains cable with american colours. Only UL/CSA approved cable,we can source has Orange core instead of Blue, Please help.

Black/red/blue is not a required color code for 3 phase here. The 3 phases can be any color other than white, lt gray, or green. Black and red are kind of traditional for line power.

Blue is normally used here for DC.

You might want to give us a little more information on what it is you are trying to do. We do not normally run five wires either. Just 3 phases and ground since normally there are no L-N loads unless it is 208/120.

NB-TQ

Are you looking for something like flexible cord such as SOOW or type W cable?

I've personally never seen 5 conductor with blue, it's always been orange.

Someone else may have.

Worst case, you could custom order it if you really want blue instead of orange.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Yes, We normally use SOOW type cable. I only come across with orange instead of blue. I was trying to find what is norms in north american market, If blue is not required and expected then i don't think i need custom made cable.

Many thanks

NB-TQ

Black/red/blue is not a required color code for 3 phase here. The 3 phases can be any color other than white, lt gray, or green. Black and red are kind of traditional for line power.

Blue is normally used here for DC.

You might want to give us a little more information on what it is you are trying to do. We do not normally run five wires either. Just 3 phases and ground since normally there are no L-N loads unless it is 208/120.

Many thanks for your response.

We make engineering equipments which requires 3 phase+neutral+earth in incoming supply. We have seen black, red and blue wires in other side of incoming fused isolator (feedback from installation engineers) also if i search on the web, these colours come across as 3 phase wiring colours for canada/ american markets. I am only trying establish what is norms and available over there.

Many thanks

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
Many thanks for your response.

We make engineering equipments which requires 3 phase+neutral+earth in incoming supply. We have seen black, red and blue wires in other side of incoming fused isolator (feedback from installation engineers) also if i search on the web, these colours come across as 3 phase wiring colours for canada/ american markets. I am only trying establish what is norms and available over there.

Many thanks
General cable makes 5 core cables:
https://cdn.generalcable.com/assets...products/Carol_SVT_Supreme_CAR_0098_R0511.pdf
Orange is used for 3 phase in cords here to avoid confusion with blue as neutral.
In US the NEC and UL allow 'light blue' to be used for a neutral in cords NEC 400.22(C).
In 240V 3 phase delta systems here orange is required for 'B' phase.

In 240V 3 phase delta systems here orange is required for 'B' phase.

for high leg 240/120v delta (article 110.15). A corner-grounded 240v delta would require one white conductor and two others that aren't green.

As a note for the OP- the NEC generally only prescribes green (earth/grounding), white or gray (neutral/grounded), and the aforementioned orange. Anything goes for the other leads although it's common practice to use Bk/R/Bl for wye-connected 208/120v and O/Y/Br for 480/277v.

Status
Not open for further replies.