Learn the NEC with Mike Holt now!
Status
Not open for further replies.

sw_ross

RTFM

RTFM

I am doing...

Regarding control wiring,
0.3mm^ - 0.75mm^ , according to Google equates to ~ 18awg - 22awg...?

What do most of you use for your control wire within the drive enclosure?
I'm assuming you'd be using 600v rated wire...

Besoeker3

Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
I am doing...

Usually we used 1mm^2. Some customers specified 1.5mm^2 for control wiring. That would be 17 AWG and 16 AWG. If could get these.
The difference in cost would normally be insignificant but then we mostly supplied fairly large VFDs.

kwired

Electron manager
I am doing...

Often control wiring can be class 2 circuit.

sw_ross

control wiring question

control wiring question

VFDControlwiring.jpg

Given this information in the manual;

1) If i wanted to jog the motor either forward or reverse, I would wire up 2 pushbuttons (non-latching), using SD as common and STF for forward and STR for reverse? (no voltage input allowed)

2) If i wanted to use a pot. to control motor speed, I would use terminals 1, 2, & 3? Does the drive supply the 0-10v?

Thanks for helping!

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
View attachment 23014

1) If i wanted to jog the motor either forward or reverse, I would wire up 2 pushbuttons (non-latching), using SD as common and STF for forward and STR for reverse? (no voltage input allowed)

2) If i wanted to use a pot. to control motor speed, I would use terminals 1, 2, & 3? Does the drive supply the 0-10v?

Thanks for helping!

That would work, but usually there is another input you can assign to JOG with a preset speed.

Yes, Yes.

kwired

Electron manager
View attachment 23014

1) If i wanted to jog the motor either forward or reverse, I would wire up 2 pushbuttons (non-latching), using SD as common and STF for forward and STR for reverse? (no voltage input allowed)"No voltage input allowed" means do not use an external voltage source, voltage for this circuit is supplied by the drive, but yes if you don't change any the functions from default, any signal on those two terminals will run the motor at whatever speed is selected. Many times drives have FWD and REV inputs as well as a "Run" or other "enable" input. On those you would need a direction input as well as a run input before the drive will be active.

Thanks for helping!
Actually the terminals on the drive should be labeled 10, 2 and 5, 0-10V is another control scheme and is between terminals 2 and 4 when used along with 4-20mA being a possible control scheme. Some of these functions also may be changeable in the parameter settings, but what is printed there is likely the default settings.

Control voltage for the speed pot comes from the drive though, all you need to do is connect it to those terminals.

Status
Not open for further replies.