No announcement yet.

VFD Newbie questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problem with tech support whether it be from manufacturer or distributor is that someone that knows the product inside and out, is likely paid too much to be put in a position to answer phones as their primary job, or if they are not paid enough they will be seeking a better paying job. Though in some cases there may have someone better qualified that can be referred to when all the "FAQ's" on a list have been exhausted by someone that can read through those at a lower pay can no longer be of assistance.
    I live for today, I'm just a day behind.

Comment

Originally posted by sw_ross View Post
      So I called the 1-800-# on the VFD's.com website to get some sort of tech support to ask questions about the Mitsubishi VFD.

The person tells me they don't have any tech support, but I can "schedule" tech support with Mitsubishi for a fee!...

I asked him about if a customer has an issue with their VFD, or other products, how is it dealt with.... He didn't have an answer.

Kinda crazy!
      We didn't often use Mitsubishi VSDs but on one project the customer specified them. They turned out to not as reliable as those we preferred.
      There were about seven drives, the largest of which were 200 kW (268 HP). To comply with supply harmonics limits, these were 12-pulse input units. The two 6-pulse input bridges were connected in series - the only time I've ever it done it that way.

Comment

AB assistance has always been top notch even at local levels for me, and if you want to pay for company support program, expect and get more.

We have local SqD & CH non stocking wholesalers with minimal local support. They will get you an answer or give a # to get it yourself.

OT>
        Personally I do not know how an EC can operate without establishing and maintaining a working relationship with local supply houses. Type of work, done I guess.
        Online is ok if you know what you want and expect minimal support. None at all? Forget it.
        Tom
        TBLO

Comment

Originally posted by ptonsparky View Post
          AB assistance has always been top notch even at local levels for me, and if you want to pay for company support program, expect and get more.

We have local SqD & CH non stocking wholesalers with minimal local support. They will get you an answer or give a # to get it yourself.

OT>
          Personally I do not know how an EC can operate without establishing and maintaining a working relationship with local supply houses. Type of work, done I guess.
          Online is ok if you know what you want and expect minimal support. None at all? Forget it.
          You are joking .
          This not how we run business. This working relationship is ok if you are a regular customer of Bob's Butcher shop.
          I don't want my better judgment become clouded just because of my relationship with supplier.

Comment

Our experience indicates a better selection of wire insulation in lieu of THHN/THWN, is XHHW (XLPE). But this experience is limited to 480vac installations.

Line reactor is a very good suggestion.

Typical incoming is via a 'line of site' fused safety switch, then the reactor and then the VFD.

Inverter (VFD) goes in a Nema 4 or 12 cabinet with cooling fan and filter.

In our area, am seeing the pendulum swing over to AB due to support and supply chain.

Just did an AB with a couple pots for a big fan, but speed is not adjusted when the machine is operating (on that install). Relay picks up the appropriate pot depending on mode switch.

Comment

Originally posted by myspark View Post
              You are joking .
              This not how we run business. This working relationship is ok if you are a regular customer of Bob's Butcher shop.
              I don't want my better judgment become clouded just because of my relationship with supplier.
              I wasn’t. It’s your choice. My opinion.
              Tom
              TBLO

Comment

RTFM

I am doing...

Regarding control wiring,
                0.3mm^ - 0.75mm^ , according to Google equates to ~ 18awg - 22awg...?

What do most of you use for your control wire within the drive enclosure?
                I'm assuming you'd be using 600v rated wire...

Comment

I am doing...

Usually we used 1mm^2. Some customers specified 1.5mm^2 for control wiring. That would be 17 AWG and 16 AWG. If could get these.
                  The difference in cost would normally be insignificant but then we mostly supplied fairly large VFDs.

Comment

I am doing...

Often control wiring can be class 2 circuit.

Comment

control wiring question

Click image for larger version

Name:	VFDControlwiring.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	131.5 KB
ID:	2380828

Given this information in the manual;

1) If i wanted to jog the motor either forward or reverse, I would wire up 2 pushbuttons (non-latching), using SD as common and STF for forward and STR for reverse? (no voltage input allowed)

2) If i wanted to use a pot. to control motor speed, I would use terminals 1, 2, & 3? Does the drive supply the 0-10v?

Thanks for helping!

Comment

[ATTACH=CONFIG]23014[/ATTACH]

1) If i wanted to jog the motor either forward or reverse, I would wire up 2 pushbuttons (non-latching), using SD as common and STF for forward and STR for reverse? (no voltage input allowed)

2) If i wanted to use a pot. to control motor speed, I would use terminals 1, 2, & 3? Does the drive supply the 0-10v?

Thanks for helping!
                        That would work, but usually there is another input you can assign to JOG with a preset speed.

Yes, Yes.
                        Tom
                        TBLO

Comment

Originally posted by ptonsparky View Post
                          That would work, but usually there is another input you can assign to JOG with a preset speed.

Yes, Yes.
                          Terminals can be reprogrammed for other functions according to one of the notes, what is printed there is the default settings.

Comment

[ATTACH=CONFIG]23014[/ATTACH]

1) If i wanted to jog the motor either forward or reverse, I would wire up 2 pushbuttons (non-latching), using SD as common and STF for forward and STR for reverse? (no voltage input allowed)[COLOR=#ff0000]"No voltage input allowed" means do not use an external voltage source, voltage for this circuit is supplied by the drive, but yes if you don't change any the functions from default, any signal on those two terminals will run the motor at whatever speed is selected. Many times drives have FWD and REV inputs as well as a "Run" or other "enable" input. On those you would need a direction input as well as a run input before the drive will be active.[/COLOR]

Thanks for helping!
                            [COLOR=#ff0000]Actually the terminals on the drive should be labeled 10, 2 and 5, 0-10V is another control scheme and is between terminals 2 and 4 when used along with 4-20mA being a possible control scheme. Some of these functions also may be changeable in the parameter settings, but what is printed there is likely the default settings.

Control voltage for the speed pot comes from the drive though, all you need to do is connect it to those terminals.[/COLOR]

Comment

Thanks

Comment

Yup, 10,2,5
                                Tom
                                TBLO

Comment

Working...
                                X