Anyone in the bathroom?

Learn the NEC with Mike Holt now!
Status
Not open for further replies.

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research
Only problem is people possibly getting locked in if there is malfunctions or turning light on while door is open may cause malfunction or even lock everyone out if door can close (someone cleaning may want light on but door open). Not saying one can't work around these issues, just some things to consider when designing it.

I was thinking about this exact malfunction, thus the idea that the door cannot be locked unless it is already closed. But I absolutely agree that the failure modes need to be carefully considered. One possible benefit: if you have one of those 'call for help' switches in the bathroom, it could automatically unlock the door. Also there should certainly be some way to unlock the door from the outside....

drktmplr12

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
door jamb switch wired to a light over the door

https://www.platt.com/platt-electric...px?zpid=180101

that might not be the correct action you need.

alternatively, you can install a plunger switch that the closed-door actuates.

forget this nonsense of relying on an employee to lock the door. if they want privacy they need to lock the door and not be surprised when someone barges in while they are catching up on trumps latest tweets.

edit:

another product https://www.amazon.com/Thomas-Betts-Perfect-Line-Automatic-Switch/dp/B008KM8LG0

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research
door jamb switch wired to a light over the door

But then you are back to the problem of not knowing if a closed door means that the bathroom is occupied or simply that the door is closed.

You want some reliable way to know that someone is in the bathroom. Lots of people close the bathroom door when they leave it, if only to protect passerby from needing respiratory protection. If you could train all employees to leave the bathroom door open when it is not occupied, then you wouldn't need any sort of fancy indicator light, just look for the doors.

(In fact, this could be a solution. Get rid of the door latches. Only have bolts operated with a key from the outside and a knob from the inside. Put the doors on springs to hold them open. If someone wants the door closed, they need to lock it from the inside.)

People tend to lock the door when they use the facilities. Even more so if locking the door turns on the light. So detecting the locked door is a pretty good way to detect occupancy.

-Jon

drktmplr12

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
But then you are back to the problem of not knowing if a closed door means that the bathroom is occupied or simply that the door is closed.

good point, everyone in our office generally leaves the door resting on the latch so its maybe 1 cm open. not sure that there are any UL listed products that will tell you a door is locked and be able to turn on a 120V light bulb.

how about a switch on the inside and instruct employees to switch it on to indicate occupied?

or this

https://www.amazon.com/Restroom-occupacy-sign-indicator-commercial/dp/B06XGPNHVY

or exam room flags like at the dr's office

https://www.amazon.com/Designer-Col...oom+flags&qid=1567611821&s=industrial&sr=1-10

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
You could use an IR proximity sensor aimed at a centralized point in the room that means “occupatto”. Someone sits on or stands at the throne, it detects their presence and the light goes on. They get up and get out of the beam, light goes off.

Todd0x1

Does the facility have access control and badges? They could set it up where you have to badge in and out of the restroom, that way they could also track who is using the restroom, how often and for how long. /scarcasm -sort of.

I think your occupancy sensor idea is the best bet, maybe use an alarm motion detector to latch a relay and a NC magnetic alarm contact on the door to release the relay. Keeping it all low voltage would save a ton of time and money. You could use a red/green hospital nurse call corridor light for the indicator, those are only $20-$30/ea

drktmplr12

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
You could use an IR proximity sensor aimed at a centralized point in the room that means “occupatto”. Someone sits on or stands at the throne, it detects their presence and the light goes on. They get up and get out of the beam, light goes off.

i'm the one doing the aiming in there :D

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
i'm the one doing the aiming in there :D

One would hope... :p

I'm in an office complex that has 5 stories and restrooms shared by everyone on each floor, probably 6 different companies on our floor. Somewhere on our floor is a guy who has the worst aim I have ever seen. It's almost as if once he is inside of stall he not paying ANY attention or something (probably talking on his cell phone). Not a week goes by that I don't have to call the building manager to send in a cleaner even though the cleaners have taken to cleaning the bathroom just on our floor 3 times per day now because of him.
His parents should be ashamed.:rant:

drktmplr12

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
One would hope... :p

I'm in an office complex that has 5 stories and restrooms shared by everyone on each floor, probably 6 different companies on our floor. Somewhere on our floor is a guy who has the worst aim I have ever seen. It's almost as if once he is inside of stall he not paying ANY attention or something (probably talking on his cell phone). Not a week goes by that I don't have to call the building manager to send in a cleaner even though the cleaners have taken to cleaning the bathroom just on our floor 3 times per day now because of him.
His parents should be ashamed.:rant:

of course, that means we need to add moisture sensors to alert the cleaners! :lol:

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Or an electric fence charger w/ wires along the wall. :D

Debunked by Mythbusters... Our "streams" look solid to us, but when viewed with a high speed camera they are a stream of separate droplets at about 6" from the "source", so no conductivity backward. And yes, they filmed it with high speed cameras.

Besoeker3

Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
I love those in use lock sets. I can't believe how infrequently they are used. It's so awkward having to try the doors or be in there and have someone knock then have to say "it's going to be a while....." :lol:
Agreed. Here, in UK, these in use locks are in all public places like restaurants, pubs, shopping malls. Usually it is just a red sector that is shown. I don't know if they are mandatory.

kwired

Electron manager
Debunked by Mythbusters... Our "streams" look solid to us, but when viewed with a high speed camera they are a stream of separate droplets at about 6" from the "source", so no conductivity backward. And yes, they filmed it with high speed cameras.

I don't intend to test this out myself.:happyno:

Especially with most the fencers you see local farmers/ranchers using - they often have 12-15 kV output, and can jump a pretty good gap.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Physics must have changed in the last 70 years, because I ended up on my backside in a muddy field road. I thought I had been struck from above.

OK, I admit a mistake here. Mythbusters debunked a story of peeing on an electrified rail, not a fence.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDY-0ijiOEQ
But apparently they later did a fence and found that you COULD get close enough to it to present a path for current to flow.

Status
Not open for further replies.