Moving from AR to PA

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife was offered an amazing job in Langhorne PA. So I was wondering what it will take for me to get a lisc. up there. We don't have many union shops around here, so I was wondering if a non union guy such as myself would be able to find work around there. I mostly do light comm. and custom homes.

Thank You

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
For the most part PA doesn't require state licensing however the big cities may require some kind of license. I am sure someone can help you further with this issue

Wow

Wow

I am amazed to hear the for the most part they done have to have a lisc. That's not a good thing IMHO. Even us hillbillys in AR have to go to school, do continuing Edu. and carry a lisc.

Scary

Scary

In fact the more I think about that the crazier it sounds. So I guess any body with a ladder and some strippers is a master. How can a contractor even make it when every one can do electrical work..

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
In fact the more I think about that the crazier it sounds. So I guess any body with a ladder and some strippers is a master. How can a contractor even make it when every one can do electrical work..

Many areas of NY state also is like PA--- no license-- the city you do need a license

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
I am amazed to hear the for the most part they done have to have a lisc. That's not a good thing IMHO. Even us hillbillys in AR have to go to school, do continuing Edu. and carry a lisc.

From what I've heard, Arkies actually have a robust licensing/education system compared with a majority of the U.S. Licensing structures do generally bump our wages a bit.

Gregg Harris

Occupation
Electrical,HVAC, Technical Trainer

The biggest qualifier is the $300 registration fee.

dereckbc

Staff member
Titan not trying to argue here but I spent a lifetime in AR for 2 years working around Little Rock and Ft Smith and a home owner does not need a license to do electrical or plumbing work. In fact that holds true in most states. If the HO pulls a permit and passes inspection, they are good to go. Even if the HO does not pass inspection, there is nothing the inspector can do about it. Not saying this is right or wrong, it is just the way it is.

Here in TX most counties do not even require a permit or inspection if the HO is doing the work. Some counties in TX there is no code enforcement agency to pull a permit. At the State level in TX there is no license to be had, only county/city issues license.

Last edited:

PetrosA

From Langhorne, it's very possible you'll be working in Philly or in townships requiring a Philly license. I'm not sure that you need it if you're working for a contractor, though. This part of the state has a lot of good electricians, especially in commercial and industrial, so you might be surprised :)

The most important thing in convincing people that you really know electrical work will be to lose your drawl. ;) This might help:

and this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yq9NBJ0sG48

Last edited:
Good point

Good point

Titan not trying to argue here but I spent a lifetime in AR for 2 years working around Little Rock and Ft Smith and a home owner does not need a license to do electrical or plumbing work. In fact that holds true in most states. If the HO pulls a permit and passes inspection, they are good to go. Even if the HO does not pass inspection, there is nothing the inspector can do about it. Not saying this is right or wrong, it is just the way it is.

Here in TX most counties do not even require a permit or inspection if the HO is doing the work. Some counties in TX there is no code enforcement agency to pull a permit. At the State level in TX there is no license to be had, only county/city issues license.

No offense taken at all. I was kinda freaked out with all that's going thru my head right now with a possible move and finding work up north. And had a few rum and cokes in me. I am a small contractor here in Fayetteville and all of my builders for liability reasons do use me even when its wayyy out in the country with no inspections, so its done by some one with a lisc, insurance and will warranty my work .. So I guess it would be no different than here!

Souther Draw

Souther Draw

From Langhorne, it's very possible you'll be working in Philly or in townships requiring a Philly license. I'm not sure that you need it if you're working for a contractor, though. This part of the state has a lot of good electricians, especially in commercial and industrial, so you might be surprised :)

The most important thing in convincing people that you really know electrical work will be to lose your drawl. ;) This might help:

and this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yq9NBJ0sG48

I sure didn't mean to imply that the electricians up there weren't any good, I am very sorry if it came off that way. And the video was awesome!!!! I am sure that I would sound like a massive hillbilly to most folks in PA. Hopefully they don't mistake my dialect for my intellect!! :lol: I would prob attempt to try and work for myself on a small scale. Getting too worn out to want to do to much...

I prob know him

I prob know him

Small world! I was born in Fayetteville and have a lot of family round there. My uncle Mike is a plumbing inspector in Springdale. My folks moved out in '85.

What does Mike look like. I actually live in Springdale and work here a lot. I just put Fayetteville cause most don't know where springdale is..

PetrosA

I sure didn't mean to imply that the electricians up there weren't any good, I am very sorry if it came off that way. And the video was awesome!!!! I am sure that I would sound like a massive hillbilly to most folks in PA. Hopefully they don't mistake my dialect for my intellect!! :lol: I would prob attempt to try and work for myself on a small scale. Getting too worn out to want to do to much...

I didn't take it that way :) PA gets bashed a lot for not having a statewide license and there ARE a lot of trunkslammers here. Many areas even close to Philly don't require inspections, and guys get away with incredible stuff.

I was only joking about your drawl, so I hope I didn't offend you. Interestingly, there are regions an hour outside of Philly where a southern drawl is common. Maryland, and some Pennsylvania born people from near the Maryland border can have very noticeable drawls. I suspect they are descendants of slave catchers who located here in the mid-19th century and stayed since the geographical pattern of their accent is pretty tightly connected with the path of the underground railroad as it passed from Maryland into PA. I grew up in an area where the accent is mixed and you hear a little of both. In school there were kids who said "color" and those who pronounced it "keller" and they were all born and bred locally.

You should be fine working on your own and it may even be that your license will be accepted in exchange for a Philly license - depends on what your tests are based on down there. Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions I can help out with. I'll try my best.

That used to be true in Texas. It was city by city. But but now they have a state license.
ytedyjav.jpg

Better to have it and not need it. Than to need it and not have it.

The two worst electricians I ever met were licensed guys :) I am totally serious though, and I live in central NY where there isnt much licensing so I come across plenty of unlicensed guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.