A couple of testing questions..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pcmaker

When you took your test, did they allow books to have been tabbed, highlighted with notes in the pages?

Also, if you had to choose only one book, which is better to study and to bring to the test? The NEC 2011 book or the 2011 NEC handbook?

jimdavis

If I remember correctly Utah allows highlighting or pre-made tabs. No hand-written notes or tabs permitted. Also the code handbook is not on the list of permitted reference materials for Utah. That may be different where you live. Although I like the code handbook it may be burdensome when it comes to exams. There is a lot of extraneous text to weed through.

mgookin

When you took your test, did they allow books to have been tabbed, highlighted with notes in the pages?

Also, if you had to choose only one book, which is better to study and to bring to the test? The NEC 2011 book or the 2011 NEC handbook?

Most states have an information booklet for each test. You may want to contact your state licensing board and see if they have one. It will answer that question and a whole lot more.

Smart $

Esteemed Member

From what I could tell, the handbook is not permitted...

http://www.iccsafe.org/Certification/Bulletins/CO_NV-ClarkCounty.pdf

I assumed you are referring to taking a Clark County NV exam because you list Las Vegas as your location. :blink:

Pcmaker

It says on there that "In addition, to the NEC, you may use any of the following references." And one of those listed is the National Electrical Code Handbook

I am assuming that when it says "NEC," it is referring to the NEC 2011 book.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
It says on there that "In addition, to the NEC, you may use any of the following references." And one of those listed is the National Electrical Code Handbook

It would be the year of the exam. If you are testing for the 2011 then that is what you use for the handbook.

In Nc no books can be brought in -- they give you everything you need so there can be no notes etc.

Smart $

Esteemed Member

The only place I looked was in the table. But you are correct. It does list the handbook.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
They allowed the handbook at my test. I had handwritten (luckily in pencil) some little notes on things so I could understand in my own way.
The proctor promptly took her eraser out and erased all my notes!:happyyes::rant:

They were on the same page as the info, it was just a way for me to interpret it better. But she wasn't buying it!:happyno:

captainwireman

I currently hold several state licenses. It is all up to the state's regulations which they always spell out, as far as I know. Although the handbook is not the definitive code, it does contain all entries the NEC has. I very much prefer the handbook. It gives expanded explanations and a lot more information. If a Ferm's Fast Finder or Henry's Key Word Index is allowed, buy one. If an Uglies is allowed, get one. I just took the Oregon test and these were all allowed. Calculations were almost a cut and paste from the Uglies and the key word index eliminated many wasted minutes chasing around the code book.

joebell

Personally,I'ld rather just bring the NEC, The handbook has too much information that would distract me during a timed exam.

I was allowed to highlight and add notes to the book but no loose papers. The proctor would hold the book by the binding and shake it to see if anything fell out.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Personally,I'ld rather just bring the NEC, The handbook has too much information that would distract me during a timed exam.
I agree 100%, there is not time to read the opinions and examples in the NECH. It doesn't matter in NC though, like Dennis said, they provide the code book, pencils, and scratch paper.(which is left after the exam). I can't remember if I was allowed to use my own calculator or not.

Roger

mgookin

Can anyone recommend a brand, type, allowable in test facilty calculator to use for the ICC residential electrical inspectors test here in Florida.

That information is available through the license application process and/ or the entity proctoring the test.

Good luck on your test and welcome to the forums!

Status
Not open for further replies.