Electrician from Australia, need to study for Maryland masters exam.

Status
Not open for further replies.

earle13

Hi guys new to the forum. After searching many of websites on tips etc for studying/passing the MD masters exam to no avail, i came across this website.

I am an A grade Electrician from the Printing/Manufacturing industry in Australia, and have moved to the US recently to be with family and GF.

I have landed a job doing LED retrofits with a company in Maryland, this a far cry from what i was doing and what my skill set is but its a job. I was very surprised to hear that i need a Masters license for this job and the things ive had to go through to even be allowed to take the Masters test but will persevere.

Soon i should be given confirmation that i can take the test then i need to study for it, I have the new NEC book and want to get into the study ASAP.Obviously most things over here are completely different in the trade to back home. I am wondering if i could get some pointers and what to focus my study on etc as it has been a long time since ive taken an Electrical exam and am a little nervous (especially because im in another country) to be honest.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
Hi guys new to the forum. After searching many of websites on tips etc for studying/passing the MD masters exam to no avail, i came across this website.

I am an A grade Electrician from the Printing/Manufacturing industry in Australia, and have moved to the US recently to be with family and GF.

I have landed a job doing LED retrofits with a company in Maryland, this a far cry from what i was doing and what my skill set is but its a job. I was very surprised to hear that i need a Masters license for this job and the things ive had to go through to even be allowed to take the Masters test but will persevere.

Soon i should be given confirmation that i can take the test then i need to study for it, I have the new NEC book and want to get into the study ASAP.Obviously most things over here are completely different in the trade to back home. I am wondering if i could get some pointers and what to focus my study on etc as it has been a long time since ive taken an Electrical exam and am a little nervous (especially because im in another country) to be honest.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

First you should check your local colleges and night schools for adult education to see what is available as far as the study of the NEC.
The hardest part is knowing how to use the index and figuring out what the question really is.
Once you learn your way around the code book it will be a lot easier for you.

fmtjfw

I presume that your visa allows you to work (green card???).

Maryland states that you need 7 years of experience as apprentice and journeyman under a master to be eligible to sit for the test. Your OZ experience may or may not apply. The state ONLY licenses Masters. Subdivisions of the state may license Apprentices and Journeyman. Their main site is: http://www.dllr.state.md.us/license/elec/eleclic.shtml

Maryland also has continuing education requirements to be able to renew the license. See the website above.

Note: Pennsylvania has NO statewide licensing. Depending on where in Maryland you are going to live this may be an option.

The written test is usually based on being able to answer questions about the electrical code (NEC) quickly and be able to sort out exceptions to the rules. I would suggest getting a bunch of practice exams and doing them until you can answer the required number correctly in the time allotted before sitting for the test for real. The practice test will not necessarily cover the calculations that will be on the test. The tests are administered by a private company. Google "psi electrician's license test" for more information about the test. I do not know if PSI customizes the tests by state or just uses one. You can look at information about their tests in the Google results.

There is reciprocity between WV and MD for Master Licenses. In WV you can attend a 9 month trade school for all day (or for more money, night classes) (beginning in September) which will be accepted as a substitute for 4 years of apprenticeship. If it is the right program (depending on the school) it will also well prepare you for the Journeyman's test. This can bring the number of experience years required down. WV then requires 5 years of work as a Journeyman before you can sit for the Masters.

I usually run the yearly SkillsUSA vocational contest for electrical students in motor controls, my buddies, the same for residential wiring. We can clue you in to who runs good programs and who barely teaches the students to change light bulbs.

I used "NEC EXAM Practice Questions" Published by Mike Holt as the source of test questions when I studied for the West Virginia Master's Test.

Good Luck, Mate!

Status
Not open for further replies.