New to the forum!

Status
Not open for further replies.

sclement

Hello every one, I am new to the forum. I am a 2nd year apprentice in my 2nd year of school.I currently practice in Utah. I joined this forum to seek help with school questions and field questions as well. Im looking forward to hopefully meeting most of you, thanks in advance.

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
Welcome to the forum.

Be aware that " help with school questions" will normally require you to express your answers first.

LEO2854

Esteemed Member
Hello every one, I am new to the forum. I am a 2nd year apprentice in my 2nd year of school.I currently practice in Utah. I joined this forum to seek help with school questions and field questions as well. Im looking forward to hopefully meeting most of you, thanks in advance.

Welcome aboard:)

hurk27

Welcome and you have come to the right place if you want to learn as much as you can.

In the 40 years I have been in the trade the biggest thing I have learned is that you will never stop learning, it is a forever evolving trade that even if you stayed in school 24/7 365 days a year you would still only scratch the surface of all that there is to learn, this is why our trade has so many reference books out there to keep us informed on the so many things we need to know at any given point in time while working, but it has its rewards, and there is no greater feeling than when you accomplish things that mystifies so many who are not in our trade, we make things work using an energy that can't be seen, and the ways we can accomplish it are endless, so don't stop learning as the more you put into it the more rewards you will get from it, but it also has a safety side of it that we also have to learn, as we all know all too well, electricity is a dangerous energy, and in a untrained hand it can injure and kill, keep safety at the highest priority over all you can learn because without the safety the rest is meaningless as it will be not a matter of if, but then becomes just a matter of when if you put safety on the back burner, Arc-flash is one of the more newer areas that is fairly new to the electrical field that wasn't taught back when I first went into the trade, but I have seen the results and heard the terrible stories of many who have lost their lives or are forever changed because they took a chance, in this field it is not like gambling when things go bad they go bad and some don't walk away, so always put safety up front and learn everything you can about safety, then practice it in the field.

Also you will hear many things that was taught over the years that are myths, one of the biggest ones is the false statement that still lives on in the school books today, "current takes the path of least resistance" we all know or should know that this can never be true, parallel circuits could not function if this was true, a 50 watt lamp on the same circuit as a 100 watt lamp would mean that the 100 watt lamp would be the only one that would light up, but we know from fact that is not how it work, current clearly takes all paths back to the source that supplies it, it doesn't want to go to earth, it doesn't want to go back to the generator that started it all, it only want to go back to the last source that supplied the current, which could be a transformer, batteries, or it can be the generator if that is the last source.

So always keep an open mind and do your best to always seek out the truth/fact in what your told, as bad info can always be dangerous info in the wrong hands.

Feel free to ask away, but like was said for test and homework questions we like to see you try first then we can look at the way your working the problem to help you learn how to work the problem or how to find the info to get the answer you need, just giving you the answer does not teach a person to learn how to do it on their own.

May your career be a fruitful as you wish it to be, again welcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.