Good Reference Materials for PE Exam

Status
Not open for further replies.

adamscb

Occupation
EE
Hi all,

I was wondering if any one who has passed the PE power exam would like to share any references they found excellent for preparing them for the exam. It could be anything from textbooks, websites, etc.

Thanks!

MEP_PM

I used the NCEES practice exam, material from a review class I took at a local university and also the PPI reference and practice questions and NEC. I had a few other books but I don't think I used them on the test.

Here was my basic study plan:
Review coarse (it forces you to think about it and spend time working problems), work problems, work more problem,....... Take sample exam (Not all in one sitting, a few questions a day). Check answers. Try to understand what you did wrong on any missed questions (there was a forum I used for some help but I can't remember the name). Move on to the the next wrong questions. Once you understand why you missed the questions. Retake the exam but only work the missed questions. Continue this process until you correctly work all the problems (or most), Take practice exam from another reference using the same procedure. Keep all the correctly worked questions for a reference.

Iron_Ben

I took and passed the test in 1991. Back then, in the morning four hour session you had to solve four problems and show your work! The afternoon session was also four problems but in a multiple choice format. Each of those problems had 8 or 10 questions to answer. I can recall all eight problems to this day. It was a fair and well constructed exam.

To study, all I did was use the NCEES material, which I think was old exams from maybe five or so years prior. The key is to work lots of problems of course. And then work some more. But no matter how many you work, the problems you see on test day will be different. Maybe subtly so, maybe vastly so. But it will be challenging and you can expect a tricky wrinkle or two. Good luck to you!

Status
Not open for further replies.