Nebraska Electrical Contractor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sand Man

Hi guys,

I hold master A license in Iowa along with an Iowa Electrical Contractors license. I am looking to achieve licensing in Nebraska as both an electrician and to do work there with my business. It is my understanding that Nebraska doesn't have a masters license but since I achieved my Iowa license through examination I can reciprocate it to Nebraska for a Journeyman. However the to get there contractors I will need to test, as that doesn't reciprocate with Iowa. Couple questions I have then with the last being the big one:

1. Is Nebraska Electrical Contractor license not so much a business type license but more what the Master A Iowa license is?
2. If so is there "business" type license I will also need to get, to have my business do work in Nebraska?
3. ***Anyone that has taken the Nebraska Electrical Contractor Test, is it about the NEC or ?? Also how long, type of questions etc.. and the big one, is there any book or material specifically tailored towards exam prep for that license for Nebraska? I'm aware mike holt has exam prep material but didn't see anything specific to that state and test. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
My testing was years ago. NEC and calculator is what was allowed. You will need to be familiar with the Nebraska Law but that is usually covered in the pretesting classes. Or was. Class A EC license is what you want. They used to offer a Masters. No further business license required other than if you are in business, any, you must register with the State and provide information to prove it. State or Fed ID #.

I don't know what the Iowa licenses are. I did know at one time but have forgotten.

Sand Man

Is there anyone out there that has taken this test recently that can give any insight on it? All NEC stuff, and was it difficult or not to bad? Been long time since I took a test:huh:

kwired

Electron manager
getting close to 20 years since I took it, but as Tom said you mostly need to know NEC, Nebraska elecrical act, (which I believe you are allowed to use their published pamphlet during the test, as well as theory. I'd guess the contractor test maybe has more questions on Nebraska electrical act then the journeyman test does.

They used to and probably still do have a class usually the day before the test date that is optional but when I took most items on the test were mentioned in that class and I think it is a good idea to attend that class. It also counts for CEU's needed for license renewal, and you can find some in that class at times that are there just for CEU's - especially if late in the licensing cycle and they don't have their CEU's yet.

kwired

Electron manager
State Electrical Act used to be and probably still is available to download on the SED website, I'd read through that if you haven't already, some of your questions about testing and licensing in the state may even be answered in that.

Sand Man

Thanks for all the replies guys. Now to get some study material and get going. I need to pass it the first time!! Thanks again for all replies

KennethR

contractors license

contractors license

Be sure that the permits you are applying for are in the Nebraska State Electrical Division's jurisdiction.

kwired

Electron manager
Be sure that the permits you are applying for are in the Nebraska State Electrical Division's jurisdiction.

By that I think he means if you are doing work in a city that has their own permit/inspection division, make sure you apply to the right authority. The State will not give you a refund if you overpay on a permit or apply for a permit that was not in their jurisdiction.

With that in mind when applying for State permits, don't overpay, the inspectors even have told people in the past that they can always send you billling for what you were short, but for some reason several years ago the State Attorney General has told them they can not issue refunds, so if you make an error and pay more then you needed to on the permit - you will not get it back.

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
By that I think he means if you are doing work in a city that has their own permit/inspection division, make sure you apply to the right authority. The State will not give you a refund if you overpay on a permit or apply for a permit that was not in their jurisdiction.

With that in mind when applying for State permits, don't overpay, the inspectors even have told people in the past that they can always send you billling for what you were short, but for some reason several years ago the State Attorney General has told them they can not issue refunds, so if you make an error and pay more then you needed to on the permit - you will not get it back.

Not sure if this coincided with the SED losing direct control of the funds they receive. Monies are now required to go into the General Fund which the State loved. SED was more than paying their way.

kwired

Electron manager
Not sure if this coincided with the SED losing direct control of the funds they receive. Monies are now required to go into the General Fund which the State loved. SED was more than paying their way.
I think that had a lot to do with it. If the SED is going to issue a refund they must request it be sent out by the treasury dept and it comes out of general funds, and is likely a mountain of paperwork for even a simple $5 refund. Nobody on either end wants to deal with it and the general policy now is for us contractors to pay less and be billed later if necessary. At least there is no penalty (so far) for underpayment. Pay more then you needed to - you will not get anything back.

Status
Not open for further replies.