Scranton PA electrical contractor license

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know about applying for a Scranton PA electrical contractor license? There is almost nothing on scrantonpa.gov website and a google search for “Scranton electrical license” yields nothing useful. Does anyone know what hoops they make you jump through and who administers the Scranton test and how best to prepare.

Thanks- Chris

Sburti

The test is taken at the Sylvan Learning Center on Montage Mountain in Moosic. It's a computerized test. I believe it's Prometric. You need 2 letters of reference from Master electricians. You'll also need proof of hours worked as a Journeyman under the supervision of a master electrician. The passing score is a 70. I would reccomend using a study guide by either Mike Holt or Tom Henry. If you know your calculations and can navigate the NEC 2008 efficiently you should do fine. Call city hall and ask for John Bannon, he's the City electrical inspector And can give you all the details.

Sent from my LG-D851 using Tapatalk

grillmaster

Does anyone know about applying for a Scranton PA electrical contractor license? There is almost nothing on scrantonpa.gov website and a google search for “Scranton electrical license” yields nothing useful. Does anyone know what hoops they make you jump through and who administers the Scranton test and how best to prepare.

Thanks- Chris

I am preparing to take the masters exam for a Scranton license and will be scheduling a date for the test very soon. Believe me, I feel your frustration. Scranton does not make it easy to ascertain the information needed. If you have any remaining questions after reading this post then I suggest you call the Scranton code enforcement office directly for further clarification. Since I do not know your level of experience or knowledge I will try to be thorough in my explanation.

Firstly, in order to even qualify to receive a Scranton Master Electrician's License I was told that I had to have at least three years of experience working for (as an employee) an electrician with a master's license. In my case that did not exist because I have been a self-employed remodeling contractor for many years. I believe that what Sburti said about the letters of reference may be true but I do not know the details about that.

Secondly, you need to have a certain amount of continuing education credits each year. I think it is 13 credits but I'm not sure.

Thirdly, you need to take and pass the Master' exam. This may be the most complicated part of all. To schedule the exam you must first contact the ICC at 888-422-7233 Ext 5524 to register with them. Then you go to pearsonvue.com, enter your ICC information then find your specific test. The test is W16-N. This is the National Standard Master Electrian's Exam for Based on the 2011 NEC. The local testing facility is at Montage Mountain and the number is 570-344-2190.

Some other things you should know.
1. Scranton and Wilkes-Barre have reciprocating licensing agreements (for the Master Licenses only). Wilkes-Barre does not have the previous experience requirement to get a license in Wilkes-Barre. However, if you have a WB Master license you still need the continuing education credits on file in Scranton to be able to pull a permit in Scranton.

2. The continuing education credits can be acquired by using Mike Holt's materials to prepare for the exam. I highly recommend his materials. If you use the materials thoroughly and systematically you will be well prepared for the exam. Don't think you can pass the exam base solely on field experience. You must prepare. In order to make the credits valid you need to contact Mike Holt's office before ordering the materials and let them know that you want to do this and they will set it up for you.

Hope this helps.

Sburti

You need 1.2 CEUs per year in Scranton. Each contact hour is .1
So you need 12 hours, 6 for a Journeymans Lic

Sburti

The letters of reference are a requirement. I don't remember if it's 2 or 3 you need to be eligible

Status
Not open for further replies.