Journeyman / Masters' test differnece

Status
Not open for further replies.

samarrone

How can I get a better understanding on the difference between the masters' and journeyman for testing.

I have been studying everything for about 2 years and in the trade for over 15, been thru all of Mike's materials but need a better conception on the difference for testing reasons. J test is scheduled and need to spend the last few weeks on areas that won't be a waste. Testing in FL if that makes a difference.

Thanks !

rcarroll

The only thing I can tell you, is when I took my Journeyman's & Master's tests, I figured they can ask me anything out of the code book.
Just be prepared to be able to find an answer as fast as you can.
I even had a few of the same questions on each test.
Good luck to you. :thumbsup:

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Don't know about FLA in particular but in many states the difference is the Master/Contractor exam includes load calculations and/or business questions.

bphgravity

The certification exam provider should have an outline or at least description of the exam content, what resources are permitted, time limits, scoring, etc., etc., etc.

The county your applying to obtain your J-man / Master's Certificate will be able to provide you this information as well...

Licensing is a completely different animal all together here in Florida. That is done through the DBPR-ECLB. Go here for information on contractor certification and licensing: http://www.myfloridalicense.com/dbpr/pro/elboard/index.html

JGRC

Not sure about Florida but in Texas the biggest difference was harder questions and less time per question. The JW test had what I would expect on it for JW install knowledge. Questions where things like where to find all your raceways, cables, box fill, and such with conduit fill and general install knowledge. I didn't have to look in the book much and honestly if it weren't for wire sizing, I probably could have got away without opening the book.

The masters very few of the previously mentioned with the addition of a lot more load calculations and a bunch of off the wall questions I didn't know were in the book, but I knew where to go to look. Almost like they avoided all the regular questions you would expect and had you hunt in the book at about the allotted 3 mins a question( I had probably taken 6 practice tests and not one question was on my test). Like I mentioned before I knew a bunch of the JW off the top of my head. I probably only knew 10 of the 103 questions on the Masters without the book. I was very familiar with the code so these questions seemed really buried in the book. In other words a person not very knowledgeable with how to use the code would have a very hard time with the time restrictions. The theory questions however I was disappointed to find very elementary for a Masters test.
Good Luck

Status
Not open for further replies.