Master Electrcal Test in Washington state

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all
In Washington state to take the Master electrical exam you have to be a journeyman electrician for 4 years. You have to apply to Labor and Industry's to take the Masters test and pay a fee also. The Test is in three sections first is NEC and theory. The second is on the local codes also called WAC/RCW Washington administrative code / Revised code of Washington. Then the Major load calculations portion. You can pass a section and not have to take it again for a year. you can keep doing this with all the sections till you complete all of the sections.
I have just taken the 3rd portion of the test again Today on the major load calculations. When I took the test earlier in the year Washington was testing in the 2008 code still. This month July 2015 they started testing in the 2014 code. I say that so you know I was testing in the 2008 code book. I have been using Mikes prep for examination book on the 2008 code. It has been really helpful and I feel like I have a firm grasp on the material. Needless to say I did not pass today. the major load calculations is only 10 questions long with a two hour time limit. I got 5 of them right.
With that background on the test I have a question.
A few of my questions had a sentence at the end of the question that threw me off a bit in figuring out what I was suppose to include in my calculation.
example: and this is not verbatim but close enough
A duplex with 120/240 single phase 2 wire service each unit is 1100 sq ft and has each

8k range
11amp dishwasher
.6k disposal
two 120v ac units at 18amps
45kv water heater at 240v

Here is the part that through me off and maybe somebody can give me a idea for when I go to do this again in a couple weeks.
This sentence "
do not include any house loads or a laundry circuit in this calculation. use the standard method
"
I understand not to include 1500kw for the laundry but what house loads are they talking about? Was I not suppose to include the 2 appliance circuits? Or was I not suppose to give the lighting load? Not sure what I was suppose to do. I had this same sentence on 2 or 3 other questions I had.

they were asking for the calculated load of this duplex in amps. I tried several ways to answer this and kept hitting the middle of the answers provided. I finally came close with one way and clicked the answer and went to the next.
anyway I know there are some holes in this post but am just pulling from my memory today. I did send a email to LNI for some clarification on the words there but have not heard anything yet. Any help on this would be great
thanks

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
The phrase "house loads" can come into play whenever you have two or more dwelling units in the same building or complex. Apartment buildings and condos are prime examples. The phrase refers to loads that are not associated with any single dwelling unit. Examples are the lobby, the registration area, corridors, the exercise room, the swimming pool, the elevators, the fire pump, and the parking lot lights. It is not likely that a duplex would have any of these things. I suspect that the author of the test question simply wanted to clarify that none of these things should be included in your calculation.

If you started testing the on the 2008 NEC you will stay on the 2008 NEC. This was explained recently in an Electrical Currents article.

Yes you are correct on that. Anybody testing as of July 1 2015 will test in the 2014 code. if you started before that then you will have a year from when you tested to keep testing in the code you started.

Charlie B
Question for you on your comment. Do you think then the intent of that sentence was to let me know that any house loads was to refer to outside lighting that I would not have to pay attention too? Also in that case I would apply the two appliance circuits to the load calc? In other words I would put my 3va to sq. ft. and then add my two appliances circuits and omit the laundry because it told me too? Im still waiting for the LNI to reply to my question to them.
thanks for your input

Status
Not open for further replies.