Local Disconnecting Means for Panelboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

gboles01

Some Background.
I have a situation where an existing MLO, panelboard is being fed from a fusible bus duct tap box. The tap box is located approximately 38" above and 120 feet to the west from the panelboard. As part of a design I am working on, I have to re-feed the panelboard to match the panelboard's bus rating of 400A.

Now to the question(s).
I cannot find an article in the code that specifically and definitively states that a local disconnecting means for a panelboard is required, only that OCP is required for the incoming feeders. is there such an article? I know an MCB breaker can count as the local disconnecting means, butthe client is reluctant to spend the money to upgrade to an MCB type, or to add a circuit breaker in a can (separate circuit breaker) to the incoming feeder for the panelboard.

Article 225.31 states that a local disconnecting means is required if the feeder transits another building to reach the panelboard. there is one floor and an office area between the bus duct and the panelboard, but I don't think I can make that stretch as a "separate building."

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Panels in the same building as their feeder OCPD do not require a main breaker or a local disconnect per the NEC.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
This is one of those very rare instances in which the NEC has a clear and unambiguous :thumbsup: statement that gives you the answer to your question. Look at the second sentence of article 406.36.

Status
Not open for further replies.