220.55 Note 3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

220.55 Note 3

I have tried demonstrations for a class on the use of Note 3 using equipment in both Col A & Col B.
    For example>: (8) 2.5kw units plus (9) 8.5 kw units (unless I made a mistake the result would be 34 kw). If I had the same number of units (17) at 12 kw the Col C result would be 32 kw/
    Makes no sense.. 17 ranges all less than 12kw give you a higher number than 17 units at 12 kw.

Am I looking at this wrong ?
    At my age, I'm accustomed to restaurants asking me to pay in advance, but now my bank has started sending me their calendar one month at a time.

Originally posted by augie47 View Post
    I have tried demonstrations for a class on the use of Note 3 using equipment in both Col A & Col B.
    For example>: (8) 2.5kw units plus (9) 8.5 kw units (unless I made a mistake the result would be 34 kw). If I had the same number of units (17) at 12 kw the Col C result would be 32 kw/
    Makes no sense.. 17 ranges all less than 12kw give you a higher number than 17 units at 12 kw.

Am I looking at this wrong ?
    I don't think you are looking at it wrong on the calculation side, but I do think you have speculated that the result of the lesser rated appliances should somehow have a lower demand. Maybe they should, maybe they shouldn't. I suppose one premise might be that lesser rated appliances are likely to be in use more often and/or have longer heating cycles than higher rated appliances.
    [COLOR=RoyalBlue]I will have achieved my life's goal if I die with a smile on my face.[/COLOR]

Comment

I did it quickly, but I got 37.375 for the mixed set not 34.

I will double check.
      [COLOR="blue"]"Electricity is really just organized lightning." George Carlin

Derek[/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by jumper View Post
        I did it quickly, but I got 37.375 for the mixed set not 34.

I will double check.
        No need. Got same result.
        [COLOR=RoyalBlue]I will have achieved my life's goal if I die with a smile on my face.[/COLOR]

Comment

Gus, did you use col. B (35%) for all of the mixed set? That comes to 34.

Derek[/COLOR]

Comment

I had (8) 2.5 kw so I used Col A for those 8 x 2.5 = 20 x .53 = 10.6 kw
            (9) 8.5 Col B 9 x 8.5 = 76.5 x .35 = 26.8

I accidentally typed 34 but the confusion is still the same. Note 3 gives us 37 for 17 pieces of cooking equipment all less than 12 kw whereas if all 17 were 12 kw the load would be 32.
            Maybe what Smart$ stated, but it just seems odd.
            At my age, I'm accustomed to restaurants asking me to pay in advance, but now my bank has started sending me their calendar one month at a time.

Comment

Whether $Smart is correct or it is some other reason IDK, but I tried something else and got similar results.

3 x 12kW (36kW total), Col C for 3 = 14kW
              6 x 6kW (36kW total), Col B demand factor .43 = 15.48kW

~1.5kW different calculated load for the same total kW.

Derek[/COLOR]

Comment

Note 3 states "In lieu of the method provided in Col C "..permissible"
                would you take that to mean that you could elect to use either the Note 3 calculation or the Col C number for the equal number of ranges ?

Comment

would you take that to mean that you could elect to use either the Note 3 calculation or the Col C number for the equal number of ranges ?
                  I would say yes.

For your 17 mixed ranges you get a smaller number using Col. C

For my 6 same ranges I get a bigger number using C over B.

I suppose you get to use the smallest given "in lieu of....".

Derek[/COLOR]

Comment

I agree with jumper. You don't have to use Col A and/or B method and can opt to use Col C..

Comment

Working...
                    X