Study Materials for WA License Test

Status
Not open for further replies.

srbtrout

Inactive, Email Never Verified
Hello all, I'm new to the forum. I'm a certified electrician and a licensed C-10 electrical contractor in California, studying to obtain a contractor's license in Washington state. There is no reciprocity agreement, so I must take a test, despite already doing so twice in CA.

Are there any suggestions on specific study materials (other than the NEC) to prepare for the exam? I'm only pursuing residential, not a master's license.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello all, I'm new to the forum. I'm a certified electrician and a licensed C-10 electrical contractor in California, studying to obtain a contractor's license in Washington state. There is no reciprocity agreement, so I must take a test, despite already doing so twice in CA.

Are there any suggestions on specific study materials (other than the NEC) to prepare for the exam? I'm only pursuing residential, not a master's license.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In case you are dont know all the details, here is the deal with WA. They have a residential specialty license which sounds like would be a good fit for you. If you are working for an electrical contractor that would be all you need. If you plan to work for you yourself/have your own biz, you need two more licenses: A electrical contractors license (no test or per-requisites just fees and $4000 bond) and an electrical administrator's license. The administrators test is reputed to be quite hard. I have taken a lot of tests and it is the only test I have failed, but got it the second time around. If you are going for the administrators, my advice would be to get a book that has lots of load calcs and make sure you have it down. The back of the NEC handbook has some examples but you will need more.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Mike Holts Exam prep is the best.
Study 5-10 hours per week, 100-200 questions
Get the PSI exam candidate information from L&I Website, it will tell you what questions will be on your test and how many
You'll need to study RCW 19.28 and WAC 296-46B
Also need to know theory, such as ohms laws
And if you are taking an electricians exam, you will need to have basic classroom electrical training, 48 hours for residential 96 for journeyman before you can take the exam. This is not required for administrator.
The first time pass rate for residential is 22%, which is sad for someone who has had 4,000 hours of supervision.

And if you are taking an electricians exam, you will need to have basic classroom electrical training, 48 hours for residential 96 for journeyman before you can take the exam. This is not required for administrator.
The first time pass rate for residential is 22%, which is sad for someone who has had 4,000 hours of supervision.

Tom, I dont know if I "slipped through the cracks" but when I got my WA license from out of state experience, I didnt have to take or show any specific basic classroom instruction.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
That changed when the current WACS effective July 1 2013 were adopted. Basic Classroom Training is typically only offered in state. However, the applicant can use apprentice type classes.
About 200 persons a year used to apply for a Washington State certification. The numbers are probably down a bit now. There are some training providers that offer fri sat sun classes, but for 96 hours, thats still 4 weekends.
This was changed to make the same requirements for out of state as in state when applying to take the exam

Status
Not open for further replies.